This should be...interesting

Started by pazuzu, May 31, 2012, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pazuzu

My laptop fell off my couch and the screen broke. Won't be able to replace the screen for a while...

So I was looking through the bits box for something to do and I found an original gameboy. Waiting on a tri blade screwdriver to pop it open. Hopefully the two potentiometers in it are close enough value to use for tone and volume...

For a lm386 amp. Lol. I am gonna use the existing 1/8" jack for the input. Probably have to fit a better speaker in it. But the goal is to have it look completely stock.

Taylor

Using the Gameboy LCD as your laptop screen would be an even more interesting hack!

If you're not going to use any of the electronics of the GB anyway, I'd recommend (if you weren't already thinking this way) putting a different speaker in there. The audio from a Gameboy is fantastic if you use the headphone out (I used to do a lot of programming on the Gameboy for chiptune music), but the speaker is not, even by lo-fi standards. You could fit something much nicer in there, that would still have a lo-fi and grimy sound, but decent.

Have fun/post pictures!

pazuzu

Yea I plan on gutting the thing. I am just hoping the 2 goofy pots are useable because finding suitable replacement pots that size may difficult. So yea, biggest speaker I can fit in there. Also going to have room for a speaker jack in the battery door along with the 9v.