resistors to trimmers

Started by Clerity, June 01, 2012, 05:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clerity

I am trying to mod a pedal and for this mod i am replacing three resistors to three trimmers. these trim pots have two lugs side by side and one on the opposite side. i believe that the one that is all alone is the wiper and i know that i connect it to one of the other lugs but was wondering does it really matter which one i do it to or how i put it in to the board? Also does it matter which side i put the trimmers on, solder side or clean side?

Derringer

if you have an meter and a breadboard (don't 100% need the breadboard) you can find out exactly what trimmer lug combination you need so that as you turn clockwise the resistance increases (or visa versa if you do want clockwise to equal less resistance).

In general though, connect the one lug on the opposite side (the wiper) to one of the other two ugs and you will have created a variable resistor.

it does not matter which side of the board you put the trimmers on. What does matter is that you make solid solder connections to where the lugs go onto the board. I would tend to think that soldering on the clean side of the board would make most sense but not all circuit boards will take mods the same way. You might even find that it's easier to solder the trimmer to a piece of perfboard and then run wire leads to the appropriate places on the circuit board

Clerity

k thanks so as long as i connect the same lug on each one and put them in the same way they should be the same