Help: DIY Router/patch-box

Started by Kevaso, June 02, 2012, 06:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevaso

Hi guys, first post.

If this is answered before please send me a link.

My problem: I use a wireless receiver which then feed the tuner. But sometimes I plug straight into the tuner and skip the wireless. The problem with this is that they are both Velcroed to the board, and placed as close as possible to each other to save space, this makes it a hassle to unplug the wireless and plugging in another cable.  

My solution: I want to build a router with 2 in and 1 out, where "main in" feed straight to the "main out". But I want another input that overrides the main input. This way I can have the wireless connected all the time, but when I want to use a cable I can plug my guitar into he secondary input. Like a patch bay.

My question: How do I do this? I am a n00b, but I'm not stupid :P So simple directions will suffice. :) As far as I understand I need to run a cable from Main in jack > Secondary in jack > Out jack, but what type of jack must I use for the secondary input to bypass the Main input? Do I need another component in between or is it just a matter of wiring correctly?

Thanks in advance guys

Stian / Norway

Seljer

This can be easily accomplished with switching jacks :)

These are the ones that have the extra terminals, that are disconnected when you plug a 1/4" plug into it.

As you can see here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg
The same funtionality is also available on the enclosed pastic jacks.

(and remember the wire all your grounds together because I didn't draw them on the picture)

Kevaso

Well, easy as pie then. Thanks, Seljer.

You even took your time drawing it up, awesome :P