GGG Rodent question

Started by A.Crossfield, June 02, 2012, 05:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Crossfield

Hi members. I just finished building a GGG Rodent kit. Everything works fine and it was a fun project. The problem I have with it is the the tone is very muddy and bassy. So much so that I can't even use it...it sounds terrible. I even took it to my local music store to try it through different amps...same sound. My other pedals(Digitech valve distortion, Jecky/Hyde) are, if anything, a little bright. Has anyone on this sight had the same experience? Any recommendations, mods, etc...Thank you for any input.

mremic01

My guess is that it's all bassy because you're getting the signals that are normally sent to ground sent to the amp. I had that happen once when I wired something up incorrectly, I think I had switched the board output wire and the output jack wire on the 3pdt.

I've had a lot of variation with Rats, and some are just muddy due to component tolerances. But make sure everything is wired correctly, and if you're still having issues, check the sticky about debugging and post that info.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

Mark Hammer

1) Are you certain the compensating cap for the LM308 is 30pf?  A larger value will reduce the amount of gain available at higher frequencies.

2) You might consider raising the value of the 560R resistor a bit, to maybe 680 or 820R, so that there is less gain for the content below 1.5khz.

3) You might feel like decreasing the value of the 3300pf  filter cap so that it doesn't cut as much top end.