Bazz Fuzz power issues, battery works DC doesn't

Started by DrStrangefuzz, June 02, 2012, 10:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrStrangefuzz

So I'm stumped. I built a slightly modified Bazz fuss, and I used a schematic from another website to do all the offboard wiring. Everything works when I plug in the battery, LED lights up, effected signal sounds great. The switch works perfectly, bypasses and cuts power when input's unplugged.
So, when I plug in the One Spot (or my other universal dc brick). I get nothing. Nada. Zip. The LED is cold, bypass signal works, but NO signal through the effected channel. Out of desperation, I've tried reversing polarity (VERY briefly) and selecting other voltages 12, 7.5 with negative tip. I even tried using a jumper across the adapter.
Is there something I'm missing? I read a few FAQs and haven't found anything.

Mike Burgundy

Don't do the reverse thing again, that might cause all kinds of problems, even long after. Does it still work on battery?
There's obviously some kind of wiring error or power doesn't get through the connection. You'll have to start measuring stuff and figure it out. How is the battery and DC jack wired? Where does the power stop? Which DC jack are you using? Is it shorting to the case maybe?
Without wiring diagrams and pictures it's impossible to say anything, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you start measuring and tracing. It's often very helpful to trace what you have built into a new schematic - that always helps me find silly wiring errors that I overlook when comparing to the original schem.

Jdansti

+1

You might have already done this, but use your voltmeter to confirm that you have voltage at the end of your PS plug.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

DrStrangefuzz

Thanks for the replies- I don't know why, but no, I haven't checked voltage at the jack, I tried to jumper straight off of the adapter. Wow, that seems like a really unwise idea as I type it. that didn't seem to work, but maybe I just didn't quite make the connection. Amazingly, the pedal still works beautifully (aside from the dc jack issue). My dc jack is salvage, as is the enclosure. I bought a first act chorus for $6 on clearance a few years ago, and managed to reuse most of the offboard stuff.
I bought the 3pdt switch, components and protoboard and went drone there.
I know we're not supposed to mention other sites that sell stuff, but my schematic came from a website that rhymes with "pone tad" if that helps at all. In the meantime when I get a chance I'll put that jack on a meter.