i think i screwed things up

Started by Clerity, June 02, 2012, 10:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clerity

i was desoldering a piece yesterday and the metal connector came off. I was wondering is this salvage able or not?

J0K3RX

Desoldering what? Metal connector came off of what?   Explain yourself immediately! :icon_lol:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Greenmachine

Am I the only one amused by a cryptic post coming from someone called Clerity  :D

Clerity

sorry i'm thought that was a enough to go by but when i took the piece off there was just board no little piece of metal that would connect the solder to the rest of the board and it was a trim pot
my name is clerity not clarity  ;)
and on a totally unrelated note they need a smiling shrugging face

therecordingart

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

mattthegamer463

Is this a DIY board or a manufactured one?  Through-hole or SMT? In any case, you can use a knife to scrape away the solder resist and then solder a small piece of wire to the trace, then to the part.  I do this all the time after I tug on a hole and rip off a few cm of trace.

Earthscum

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on June 02, 2012, 11:59:45 PM
Is this a DIY board or a manufactured one?  Through-hole or SMT? In any case, you can use a knife to scrape away the solder resist and then solder a small piece of wire to the trace, then to the part.  I do this all the time after I tug on a hole and rip off a few cm of trace.

+1 to that. Bus wire or a clipped resistor lead or something, whatever you have handy. Too bad this trick doesn't work when you rip 'em off of solar cells.  :(
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Jdansti

A sharp photo of what you are trying to describe would be worth 1K words.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

J0K3RX

Fiberglass pen, razor blade, x-acto knife or whatever to scrape the coating of the trace leading to whatever got pulled off. Then solder to the trace or, just follow the trace to the next point of connection and solder a jumper wire from there to the trim pot...

Do it now and report back immediately!  :icon_lol:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!