Substitues ( i look pretty tall but my Zeners are high )

Started by petey twofinger, June 03, 2012, 04:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

So i am building ANOTHER AMZ mosfet boost , another stereo boost , in keeping with my theory that no mini amp should be without one .
the first one i put together i didn't use the proper diode cause i didn't have a 1n4739 so i went with a 1n4001 like in this layout here :

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2218/dragonflyamzmosfetboost.jpg

but i ended up blowing a bs170 a lil later .

at the moment i went thru my diodes and i seem to everything BUT the 9.1 volt zener , a 1n4739 .  i am curious if i can sub either a 1n4740 or a 1n4738 instead of what is called for , a 1n4739 or 9.1 volt zener diode .

the yellow one in the middle (1n4739) is what the ONE layout called for ... i have both of the green ones , the 1n4738 and the 1n4740 ...

will the 1n4740 work fine ? would there be any issues ? i am 99 percent sure it will work but i am a lil concerned it may effect the performance of the circuit or something i can not comprehend just yet .

i also may try a different layout this time ;

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Vero%20Layout/AMZMosfetBoost.jpg

thanks in advance , sincerely , Pt2 .

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Ronan

An 8.2V or 10V zener is fine, its for protection, and a 1N4001 just doesn't cut it in that position. The protection is to ensure the gate doesn't get too many volts above the source. Often 15V zeners are used in other audio circles, but the lower voltage ones will probably give better protection. The diode has nothing to do with the sound.

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

petey twofinger

thanks Joe , i thought of that , but confess i had to google lyric check just to make sure ...
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.