AMZ Booster help

Started by robotubo, June 04, 2012, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotubo

I built the Mosfet booster located at tonepad.  It works but there's a volume drop when the pedal is engaged.  I built this pedal three times already and this is the first time to hear the volume drop.  I used 16v 10uf and 100uf caps instead of 50v caps.

Does this have anything to do with the volume drop? Thanks guys!!!

PRR

"Debugging" post, top of this forum.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

It-worked-before-I-boxed-it-up is one of the more common sources of exasperation here.  I'm not saying this is necessarily what happened in yur case, but it is worth considering.

1)  Sometimes, when boxing things up components get twisted around when screwing on retaining nuts and such, or inadvertently shoved up against other things.  In the process, contacts get shorted out.  That might be a solder lug on a pot touching an adjacent pot or the chassis.  Or it might involve the lead from a vertically-mounted resistor touching the back of a pot just above it.  Or a wire/lead sticking out on the copper side of a board touching the chassis.

2) Connecting wire is tough, but not perfect.  Sometimes the way we strip the insulation can weaken the strands that make up stranded wire.  Twist a pot around to fit where you want it to, and sometimes the wire can fracture.  You can't see it from outside the box where you are presently tightening the nut.

Again, I am not saying this is precisely what has happened.  But it is worth checking for, just so you can say "It's not that".

robotubo

Okay thanks guys!!! Will try everything