Stacked Op Amp - Different Clipping Levels

Started by WGTP, June 05, 2012, 12:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

I haven't thought of this before, or found anything about it.  Stacked op amps with different clipping points.  For example, the standard 4558 which swings 2.5v? and a rail to rail op amp like a 2262 which swings almost 4.5v.  In the standard Distortion+ the op amp contributes lots of clipping. With a 4558/2262 stack will the 4558 start clipping while the 2262 stays clean until it hits the rails as the input goes up? Is this creating a blended/softer/multi-clipping level situation?  Or do they just BLEND.  Disregard the clipping diodes for now.  ;)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Bill Mountain

I can't answer this but my favorite opamp clipping circuit (no diodes) was a 2262 and 741 stacked.  It was super throaty sounding and needed very little filtering to tame.

FiveseveN

Something tells me when one opamp reaches saturation it will load down the other and the overall effect might not be so clear-cut. Maybe just mixing the signals from different opamps (with a series resistor on each one's output) would be a better idea.
But I'm completely ignorant of such things, so I'd really be interested in a more educated guess, at least.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

merlinb

In theory the opamp with the greater output swing will dominate the clipping.

But stacking opamps is a crap shoot, because they fight each other for stability, and one or may end up being loaded by the other and try and drive current into its output etc. You would never EVER directly stack opamps in professional gear; it's strictly a DIY experiment.