G Forrest Cook's Spring Reverb - PCB to tank wiring?

Started by dcjim, June 06, 2012, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcjim

Hello folks

I'm building G Forrest Cook's Spring Reverb based on Gaussmarkov's page

http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/reverb2/
http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/spring-reverb/

and I'm a little unsure of the wiring between the PCB and the reverb tank.

In terms of solder pads on the PCB there are two available outputs from the transformer named '4' and '6' and a pad named 'spring'. I can see the corresponding points on the schematic. Pads '4' and '6' go into one end of the tank at P1 and P2 and for the other end of the tank I think S4 goes to 'spring' and S3 goes to GND.

I don't understand what P1, P2, S3 and S4 are? I want to use RCA phono jacks and sockets.

So how do I wire two phono sockets to my PCB - signal and GND of sockets go where? And how do I wire the two phono jacks to my tank - signal and GND of sockets go where? My tank has INPUT and OUTPUT with two solder tags for each.

I just assumed pads 4 and 6 go to the signal pins of the phono sockets and their GNDs go to PCB GND but then that leaves 'spring' unconnected ...

Here are some helpful images

Thanks
Jim

dcjim

Ok so I applied my brain and realised the output stage at least was obvious. So from the schematic 'spring' goes to the signal connection on the output of the tank and the output of the tank is grounded to the main circuit.

And sure enough I get hiss and spring thunder if I strike the tank so the output stage is working. I also get dry guitar signal but no wet signal at all. I'm using a completely random reverb tank (waiting for the correct one) so I'm going to assume that's the reason for no wet signal for now. I'm pretty sure the input is all fine as I can drive the clipping LED if I play very hard and like I say I get dry guitar signal.

That still leaves me confused about pads '4' and '6' though and I've tried endless configurations ...