Pedal won't turn on when plugged into another pedal

Started by blacklightruckus, June 09, 2012, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacklightruckus

I just built a fuzz face clone and wired it up for true bypass. It works great on its own, but if I plug my guitar into an effect then the fuzz, the fuzz won't turn on .

Any one seen anything like this before?

blacklightruckus

Well son of a bitch. Looks like some how it was shorting out between the input jack and case. All set now!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

If it was a PNP fuzz face then you need to power it with a SEPERATE wall wart OR battery.

Unless, you incorporate a charge pump circuit to provide the -Vdd from a +Vdd supply  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

blacklightruckus

Just tried it again with the same symptoms. Do you have any good information and schematics for a charge pump circuit?

blacklightruckus

So I've found this schematic for the inverter: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/05/negative-voltage-inverter.html

Does that look appropriate?

Also why does the fuzz face work plugged in by itself to a -9v supply? Is this harmful to the effect?

Govmnt_Lacky

There is a LONG, LONG, ... LONG list of topic thread here and on the internets regarding this. The problem arises due to the fact that negative ground pedal (a.k.a. most other pedals) cannot be connected input to output with a positive ground pedal (some fuzz boxes)

If you think about it on a basic level.. it sounds obvious. One pedal with NEGATIVE ground, the other with a POSITIVE ground.

The charge pump inverter circuit simply uses a negative ground power input (0V GND and +9V Vdd) and converts it to negative ground for the fuzz circuit (-9V GND and 0V Vdd).

I have used madbean's Road Rage circuit in the past with no problems. Try that!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

blacklightruckus

So for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, I found this article to be helpful: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/532

joegagan

almost unrelated, but one thing to always check when pedals won't trun on. certain plugs don't mate well with certain jacks. first thing i always try is a different patchcord. amazing how many times this fixed the problem.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.