SansAmp GT-2 clone not going well

Started by hooya, June 12, 2012, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooya

Working on this project.
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=22

I etched the board myself and populated the board, wired up the switches and pots. I started this build about two years ago and now I want to finally finish it...

There's no real signal pass through the board, and all I get is a nasty squeal, which is worse in some switch positions.

Anyone familiar with this build that might help me troubleshoot? I'm going to get bust the multimeter out and just test connections across the board to see what I'm getting, but I swear I've gone over the PCB dozens of times and made sure there were no bridges where there shouldn't be, and that the components are in their proper place.

Thanks.

Govmnt_Lacky

Go here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Read thoroughly and repost the required info.

While you are at it..... also build yourself an AUDIOPROBE. It may come in handy later

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

hooya

I have read that but was hoping that someone would have experience with this box that might have an intuitive thought as to why it would squeal. The component count is very high on this box, so if I can avoid metering every connection I would prefer it.

At any rate it's a bit moot. I decided to get the circuit board wired to a power supply and I/O jacks to test things and it worked. I swear I changed nothing from the last time I tried to use the thing.

Of course, now that I have housed it and wired a bypass switch I have a new problem that may be nebulous but maybe someone has a thought. If I bypass the effect and then re-engage it the pedal is quiet, although I think that it's because the bypass switch has a sticky or bad connection in it, so it's unrelated to the circuit probably. Unless someone else has an idea why a pedal would work fine, but when bypassing then reengaging the effect it doesn't come on, or comes on slowly, or comes on very quietly. Very odd. I did recycle the switch from a previous project, so I could have damaged it in the clean-up process.

Govmnt_Lacky

Use flying leads (take the switch out of the circuit) and try it. If it works, then the switch is bad.  ;D

Forget about the LED and just wire your inputs and outputs directly to some jacks. Power the circuit and plug in. You can probably do this while it is still in the enclosure.

Dont forget to connect the jack grounds to the circuit grounds  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'