OLC Orange Peel Capacitor Question

Started by docnova, June 13, 2012, 08:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docnova

Ok this is a total newbie question and hopefully it hasn't been covered a million times before. But I recently discovered the amp emulating circuits on this site. One of the ones I am planning to begin building is the Orange Peel. Quick question about the capacitors though. What kind are those plastic covered box shaped ones in the image. Are these better for these type of builds, meaning circuits meant to emulate amplifiers. I am curious about this as I am also building a Thor from the same site. If so where is a good place to get them, I am curious about this as I currently have a big supply of film and electrolytic caps that I bought from small bear. Would caps in the image be superior to those?

Greenmachine

In my humble opinion, you won't hear the difference using those boxed capacitors.  But there's a whoooole lotta debate about the sound of capacitors.  I have used most of the capacitors out there, and now I just stick in what I've got around, and that means the cheapest green and red mylar caps you find most anywhere.

I've ordered from Bitsbox (UK business), and they arrived very quickly in Canada.  I'm sure there are other places to get them too. 

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/polyfilm.html

There's a nice cap kit at the bottom of that page.

rousejeremy

I think they are also called Wima caps. They look great and they are low profile for the most part. Frequencycentrals Dr. boogey with onboard pots pretty much needs them so everything fits.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

CynicalMan

They are film caps too, you can use the ones you have. People might argue, but IMO, in stompboxes, the type of cap doesn't matter.

docnova

Thanks for the quick reply. I kinda thought that it might not be a huge deal as I was recently reading an article on modifying vox wah wah's by an electrical engineer that listed the "rainbow fish" caps as one of the least important factor for achieving the vintage sound. As you said its a matter of preference but I think I will go with what I already have. Thanks again everyone.