The most common problems that causes swelling / fading in fuzz?

Started by Woolly Mother Mammoth, June 16, 2012, 06:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mother Mammoth

Hi There!!

Ok, I've built a octave fuzz (tone machine/ultimate octave-style) but it is heavily and heavenly modded.  ;D It works as a charm and I only got one tiny problem; when I play attacky hi notes the volume tends to back down and fades in slowly as the attack gone down. I get the same but more of it while using a wah in front of the fuzz (yepp, I like it there!). That would be my main problem.

So what are the most common problems when a fuzz begins to swell/fades in on attack? I noticed that the greater sustain I dial, the more it swells.

Hugs and a lot of love!
Ben

Woolly Mother Mammoth

Did I get too complicated? Did I write too much? Anyone....help?  :-[

artifus

schematic? sounds like cap recovering in a comp/limiter scenario.

slacker

Some octave pedals just do this, especially at high gains the two halves of the rectified signal basically cancel each other out so you get a quiet signal or even no sound on attacks, then as signal decays the sound swells back in. Too much gain somewhere can also cause the same thing, for example if you stick a booster in front of a Big Muff you'll get the same sort of swell you're getting.

boogietone

An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

LucifersTrip

I've gotten swelling/mild gating many times when the transistors are not biased properly...
always think outside the box

R.G.

Unless this is being done intentionally in some way, it's always a bias-shift causing it.

In fact, most of the time it is being done intentionally, it's done with bias shift. You just know it ahead of time in that case.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Woolly Mother Mammoth

Wow, thanks for the response! I will definitely take a look at the biasing on the last stage of the pedal, I added one to get a bit of extra volume.

Woolly Mother Mammoth

Thank you all for responding! I almost solved the problem by adjusting the bias on the sixth transistor stage, a simple buffer stage. I swapped the previous 560Ω for a 1k and now swelling effect is almost gone when the octave is not engaged. I think I'll tinker a bit more with it and see what else can be improved.

I also noticed that when dialing the tone control (a custom big muff tonestack with huge bump at 100hz) all the way to "bass" the swell became even more extreme.

Thanks again, you all save me some major debugging time!