millenium bypass problem!

Started by tsaf, June 17, 2012, 09:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsaf

hello!
yesterday i built a distortion pedal(dr boogie),and today i tried to put the millenium board(the one with bs170,1n914 and led)
the problem is that the led stays always on and ,and when i want to turn off the effect there is no signal..has anyone a solution?
thanks

bluebunny

The LED will stay on (or at least, it will go off, but fade back in a short while later) if there's no route to ground (been there, done that!).  But I don't think this is the case for you, since the last thing in the Dr Boogie circuit is the volume pot, which is wired to ground.  The fact that you also get no signal when bypassed suggests that the wiring of your switch perhaps has an error?  Any chance to post a picture so we can take a look?

BTW, I've built lots of Milleniums (M2 version) and I've never managed to kill one, even with the abuse they sometimes get.  You can check the Millenium on its own: just take the control line to ground to see if it switches the LED off (with power applied to it, of course).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

tsaf

i have used a wrong value for the resistor...now i used a 2k2,and i can change on/off of the effect..but the led is still on

R.G.

1. Are you sure the MOSFET is inserted correctly? Reversing source and drain will leave the LED on all the time.
2. As BB says, the lack of signal is indicative of a wiring problem.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluebunny

Quote from: R.G. on June 17, 2012, 10:54:50 AM
1. Are you sure the MOSFET is inserted correctly? Reversing source and drain will leave the LED on all the time.

Did exactly this on my very first M2!!   ;D

And thankfully never since...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

tsaf

at last,the problem was that the fet was fried....!

R.G.

Quote from: tsaf on June 20, 2012, 04:38:29 PM
at last,the problem was that the fet was fried....!
I sympathize. MOSFETs are a bit fragile until they get into the circuit and the protective components that are put there by all good designers if the MOSFET doesn't have them internally.

The gate really is insulated by a layer of glass only 20V thick. Handle carefully.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

well, now, I've got me a millenium problem, different to the rest, it seems.

a mill 2, with bc847 and mmbt4148 for gate diodes, 2n7002 with gate resistor, all hung from a 100k vol pot at the end of a fetzer. engaged - led lights as expected. bypassed - led brightness follows vol pot setting.

I have not yet pulled the built circuit from the box, a job I don't want to do, and so far I've only probed for continuity. switch is good, wires to right places for bypassing, no short on/across output cap or vol pot.

can anyone point me to something obvious?
don't make me draw another line.

samhay

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

duck_arse

well, I dunno. more probing today shows the fetzer works, the bypass is good, but when bypassed, there is 1V7 on the pot wiper. dunno where the volts is coming from, or why. or how it's getting to gate, for that.

hmmmm ..... and I'm not sure this is a "millenium bypass problem!" so much as a "millenium as problem indicator". but the problem is the rub.

Kipper4

Rub a Duck  :icon_redface:
I'll leave that there.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

MrStab

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

Kipper4

Lol
Do not pass Go, Do not collect 200 pounds

::)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

don't make me find that fish photo, rich.

Quotehmmmm ..... and I'm not sure this is a "millenium bypass problem!" so much as a "millenium as problem indicator". but the problem is no rub.
I retract this first statement. it should now read "millenium indicating a futzed fet". dunno what the problem was, but after hacking in a HUGE TO92 replacement part, the millenium is 'working' (but still unattached, pedal unassembled, go unpassed, duck unrubbed).

[edit :] I will add that the dud part was a sample direct from the Supertex people, not a lucky-dip tayda part.