odd resistance measurements on balanced out(?)

Started by tempus, June 20, 2012, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempus

Hey all;

I'm using this as a balanced out from my guitar to the PA:

Can anyone explain why I'm getting readings of about 15 ohms between pin 2 and ground, and pin 3 and ground? I'm also getting around 30 between pins 2 and 3. I might guess that the 150 ohm resistors are actually 15 ohms, but even then, I wouldn't get those readings on my meter would I? (I would also check, but the circuit bard is hard to get at and I've got a show coming up so I don't want to spend all my time between now and then fixing anything I might break while trying to fix this problem that may not even be a problem)

Thanks

Seljer

The 22nf capacitors prevent you from measuring those resistor's resistances.

The 15/30 ohms you're getting is the DC resistance of the transformers left coil

Andr3as

Shouldn't the measuring be 75 ohms then?  ???

150 ohm (transformer) / 2 = 75...

Seljer

150 : 10k is the impedance ratio of the transformer, the DC resistance of the transformer's winding is not the same thing

Andr3as

tempus

QuoteThe 22nf capacitors prevent you from measuring those resistor's resistances.

That's why I wondered about the 15 ohm resistor theory.

Quote150 : 10k is the impedance ratio of the transformer, the DC resistance of the transformer's winding is not the same thing

So I'm probably measuring the resistance of the coil of the transformer and there's not actually anything wrong?

Thanks