Tube Power - First Donation to the Community

Started by craigmillard, June 21, 2012, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmillard

Hi Guys,

This is my first project for the DIY community:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47591&g2_GALLERYSID=bf5785f60e1d2d8ef2fa5d042df36fb2

Its a Power Board for Tubes! :icon_biggrin: It is verified and i'm using it in a SLO100 inspired preamp which is dead quite!:)
It can supply 50ma+ for the B+ at upto 400v with some tweaking of the resistor network. It also contains a regulated heater supply which can be elevated to 80v+ to ease the cathode followers lives.
The Transistor for the SMPS is currently labeled as IRF644PBF which will provide a max of 250v therefore i suggest using a IRF740A or ideally a IRFB17N50L which is what i am using.

Have a look and let me know what y'all think!

By the way, thanks Defaced, iccaros, PRR and frequency Central!! All the inspiration and help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

craigmillard

I have also created a transformerless version that can be powered from a laptop style power pack:

DC Power

This version is a cut down version as it is not possible to elevate the heaters due to the shared ground. Other than that it works exactly the same as the above version with the same power outputs!:)

Hope someone finds this of use!#
Cheers

craigmillard

Examples of it in use in my slo100 preamp:

Excuse the crazy wiring :P

frequencycentral

That's a nice project, and really nice documentation too.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

craigmillard

Cheers Rick, your original ideas on the max and 555 for smps is what got me into tubes!! :icon_mrgreen:

Thomeeque

IC1 and IC2 are wired kinda weird for 7812's, looks more like if LM317's were used..?
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

craigmillard

ha yer, good spot, the heater supplies are running off lm317's, will get it updated!  :icon_eek:

craigmillard

defaced

Looks cool!  I'm going to have to go back to the thread and see what mods you did to clean this up.  Very interested to see what worked. 
-Mike

craigmillard

Cheers defaced, you were a great help! It was the dc after the rectifier for the SMPS, i hadn't filtered it and some noise was getting all the way through the SMPS! Added a RC filter and it cleaned right up! You were right to suspect the B+ and not the Heaters :icon_biggrin:

defaced

Bang on!  Glad we got it working.  I look forward to using this on in a project in the future.  A 400v SMPS has been something I've wanted to get my hands on for a while now. 
-Mike

craigmillard

By the way a transistor (IRFB17N50L) and max1771 can be got through the vishay and maxim sample service :icon_mrgreen: Just received 8 IRFB17N50L through the post :icon_rolleyes:

Makes the build quite cheap as they are the expensive parts!!

defaced

Where did you source the inductor from?  I'm not finding anything by searching for the part number given in the build doc, TJ4-U2.
-Mike

craigmillard

Murata Farnell is the one i used although similar spec will be fine: 47-100uh and high amps! I have also had these working but cant ensure the ma output as haven't tested it with more than 2 tubes:
Rapid High Current

defaced

Awesome!  They're carried through Mouser and are about 2.50 each.  Search for part number 1447385C.
-Mike

craigmillard

Wicked a lot cheaper too! Although im sorted for a while as i ordered 1 from farnel they sent me 1 box of 25 :icon_mrgreen:

iccaros

another project to build.. I am thinking this would work well for a firefly.. I have one built but no transformer yet..