The Seven Year Project / Paint Pen Graphics

Started by Paul Marossy, June 23, 2012, 10:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I am very happy, I got my Boss Slow Gear clone working after seven years have passed! Really love it, it suits my style very well. Anyway, I initially built it over seven years ago but never got it to work, was baffled. Every time I would go into my drawer of decommissioned circuit boards for something, I would see that in there and want to get it working because it's the only thing I never got to work from a verified PCB layout. So I discovered that I had one electrolytic cap in backwards and that was the problem. Feel dumb now, but the polarities on the PCB weren't marked and I just got that one wrong.

So I put the thing in a really old enclosure that I made for some of my first DIY projects. It's had at least four different things in it now.  :icon_eek: As you can see, it's a very tight fit, but I like using the smallest possible enclosures and ditching the battery. The PCB is protected by a sheet of plastic very similar to what you find in a Boss pedal when you take off the bottom plate. Since I can't do graphics the way I used to and I've gotten more lazy/short on spare time, I decided to just do paint pen graphics on it. I kind of like the look of it, sort of artsy. I did several years of board drafting so I have fairly decent lettering abilities. Just an idea for others who might have pretty good handwriting abilities and want to do something besides whatever color with black lettering on it.

midwayfair

Congrats, man. It's a great feeling when something works after days fo trouble shooting. I can't imagine what a relief it is after seven years!  :icon_mrgreen:

p.s. Dig the gold sharpie on it.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I didn't think about it much the last seven years, maybe like once or twice a year. Anyway, I used these gold paint pens that are at Michaels (craft store). I like the gold on black look, I also use it for the flyBOBs that I make for people.