isolating digital and analog supplies?

Started by tempus, June 23, 2012, 10:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempus

Hey all;

I've built a PIC controlled switching matrix, which essentially switches my various stompboxes in and out of the signal chain. It uses FETs to accomplish the switching, and is very quiet, except for a little thump sound when I hit a switch. Without going into a lot of detail, I suspect the noise is not coming from the switching of the stompboxes, but from the actual PIC switching itself. I'm powering this thing with a 12v wall wart, which feeds a 9v regulator (for the stompboxes). The output of the 9v regulator goes to a 5v regulator (for the PIC). Is there some way to isolate the 2 supplies, in the hopes that my switching configuration will finally be dead silent?

Thanks

defaced

-Mike

cloudscapes

You can probably power both the 5v and 9v regulators from 12v. Check the datasheet.

Are you star-grounding?

Where are your decoupling caps, and how many?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

tempus

Thanks for the replies.

The DC-DC converter solution is pretty expensive, but if it works may be worth checking out.

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 24, 2012, 10:28:23 AM
You can probably power both the 5v and 9v regulators from 12v. Check the datasheet.

Are you star-grounding?

Where are your decoupling caps, and how many?

I am powering both regulators from the 12V wall wart. Do you mean try powering them in parallel?

Yes I am star grounding.

I've got 2 decoupling caps at the PICs supply pins.

Thanks

amptramp

You could power the regulators from two separate wall warts, which would enable you to have single-point grounding between digital and analog supplies.  Added bonus: you can power the 5 volt regulator from a wall wart which is lower than 12 volts, such as 9 volts and reduce dissipation on the 5 volt regulator.

cloudscapes

Quote from: tempus on June 24, 2012, 10:43:30 AM
I am powering both regulators from the 12V wall wart. Do you mean try powering them in parallel?

Yes I am star grounding.

I've got 2 decoupling caps at the PICs supply pins.

Thanks

I assume you're using 0.1uf (or thereabouts) caps right next to the PIC's pins.

But do you have filtering caps elsewhere? I like to put 10uf-47uf caps right on the main power rails, then again on the output of any 9v or 5v regulator. An extra 0.1uf there doesn't hurt either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

tempus

Quote from: amptramp on June 24, 2012, 02:23:33 PM
You could power the regulators from two separate wall warts, which would enable you to have single-point grounding between digital and analog supplies.  Added bonus: you can power the 5 volt regulator from a wall wart which is lower than 12 volts, such as 9 volts and reduce dissipation on the 5 volt regulator.

I was kind of hoping there was some way other than using 2 separate transformers/wall warts to save space, especially since the one I'm using is 500ma which should be enough for my PIC and pedals. Or does a uC use a lot more current (esp when switching) than I surmise?

I assume you're using 0.1uf (or thereabouts) caps right next to the PIC's pins.

But do you have filtering caps elsewhere? I like to put 10uf-47uf caps right on the main power rails, then again on the output of any 9v or 5v regulator. An extra 0.1uf there doesn't hurt either.

Yes, I have filtering caps at the regulators in and out as well.

Gurner

I do a fair amount of switching with PICs...they're very quiet in my opinion.

getting to the bottom of these problems can be very circular, so if you're just using a pic pin to switch a gate voltage to a fet, then to eliminate the pic as the troublesome component, why not - as a test - temporarily manually switch a control voltage to your switching fet's gate (i.e. remove the pic IO pin from the gate and use a jumper wire with the right voltage on it  ....you could even use a separate power source for the jumper wire ....proving they share the gnd of course))....at least then it'll start narrowing down where the noise is actually being generated