Bad Transistor in SHO

Started by spfautz, June 25, 2012, 02:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfautz

I'm building a SHO, which I thought was going to be a walk in the park compared to some recent projects, but its not working.  I've traced the signal to the transistor (BS170) and that's where it stops.  The trans is socketed, I and I tried it both ways (I've made that mistake) but nothing is going through.  I tried soldering it directly to the board, but still nothing.  Feeling desperate I through an extra trans I had lying around (BC109) from a fuzz project, and this worked, so I know that there isn't a problem anywhere else, but I don't want a fuzz sho.  I'm thinking I just got a bad transistor.  Has this happened to anyone else, or is this a really unlikely cause? If this isn't the case, what could it be?

Thanks

Stefan

LucifersTrip

Quote from: spfautz on June 25, 2012, 02:23:10 PM
I'm building a SHO, which I thought was going to be a walk in the park compared to some recent projects, but its not working.  I've traced the signal to the transistor (BS170) and that's where it stops.  The trans is socketed, I and I tried it both ways (I've made that mistake) but nothing is going through.  I tried soldering it directly to the board, but still nothing.  Feeling desperate I through an extra trans I had lying around (BC109) from a fuzz project, and this worked

I think you need a Mosfet for the SHO to work and sound the way it should

so I know that there isn't a problem anywhere else, but I don't want a fuzz sho.  I'm thinking I just got a bad transistor.  Has this happened to anyone else, or is this a really unlikely cause? If this isn't the case, what could it be?

has what happened? getting a bad transistor?  happens to everyone sooner or later...blew a transistor in the circuit?   happens to everyone sooner or later...burned up a transistor by overheating during soldering? happens to some...
always think outside the box

artifus

^ what he said. happens to us all. don't forget that mosfets are static sensitive devices and require careful handling.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: artifus on June 25, 2012, 03:22:09 PM
mosfets are static sensitive devices and require careful handling.

Yep.

gregwbush

This may be a little obvious but is the pinout correct? BS170 is drain, gate, source