Making a dual tracking unit from an A+B/Y box

Started by Widows, June 26, 2012, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widows

Hi folks, first time posting here so be gentle ;-) I'm completely new to all this DIY pedal electronics malarky, and although I have a basic understanding of electronics....it is just that, basic, so apologies if I make any noob slip ups.

I had a book called something like "Build Your Own Guitar Effects" years ago when I was a kid that featured a bunch of projects for various diffrent pedals built on strip board etc. Among the projects was a dual tracking effects unit to create the effect of two guitars playing together and giving that slightly chorusy/phasey sound that you get when playing two seperate sources together,  rather than just a doubling of volume; a project or fully built pedal that I've not seen before or since. Does anyone on here know where I can find a project like this as I'd love to build one. For the life of me I can't find this book anywhere, I've turned my house upside down looking for it and can only assume I loaned it to someone and never got it back.

I play using two stacks connected with a Monkey FX ABY box and it sounds pretty huge already tbh but I'd be really interested in finding out if there's a way to mod this box into a dual tracking unit. I'm assuming this would be done by slightly delaying the output signal to one of the output jacks, thereby causing the two signals to be slightly out of phase? Although like I said above, I'm completely new to this so I could be totally wrong on this.

So if any of you have any advice about this, I'd love to hear it  :icon_biggrin:

Cheers
James
WIDOWS

PS: (long shot) If it's of any help, the book was a thin paperback A4 sized book with a light blue cover and Im pretty sure the title was written on a giant microchip. Can't remember the authors name...and yes I've had a look on Amazon ;-)
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

maartendh

Electronic projects f0r guitar by RA Penfold, Dual tracking effects unit. 

edit: I posted a similar circuit in the contest section (last edition).

Maarten

Widows

Awesome! Thanks dude!

Do you happen to have a link to it at all pls?

Cheers
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

maartendh

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/ADT+schem.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Add a 100nF cap at the output, connected to ground, for some filtering  (remember, this  was a minimum parts contest, and I had reached the max).
Or use filtering like in a chorus; in that case you can use a chip with less stages, like the mn3007.

Maarten

Widows