Help with crosstalk in bypass mode

Started by trotskyismyniece, June 27, 2012, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trotskyismyniece

I have a pedal wired up using Madbean's diagram http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf.  The pedal itself is a ROG Thor using the vero schematic in the Layouts Gallery.  At the output of the Thor, I added Jack Orman's presence control followed by Tim escobedo's utility boost as a recovery stage and an SPDT to bypass it.

I was having a problem with the pedal oscillating when the gain knob was at about two o'clock. The oscillating continued when in bypass mode.  Additionally, there were other grounding type noises - i.e. the pedal humming less if I held it and turned it another way.  The oscillating and what not went away when I rebiased Q2.  There's still a bit of noise going on in bypass mode that is crosstalk from the circuit.

I'm kind of confused as to how bypass mode is being affected.  I guess since the input jack is grounded the entire signal is getting bled into?

I'm not sure what action I should take here that would help the most.  My first guess is rewiring it as to minimize wires laying on top of each other for lengths, but that's just noise in general.  Second, reheat all of my traces to get rid of cold joints.  Third, possibly disconnect the ground going from the board to the switch and connect it to the input jack.  Or better yet, use a different 3pdt wiring method?