Q For The Tube Junkies

Started by Paul Marossy, June 05, 2012, 03:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zambo

I made a liverpool style but used cathode biased 6v6's and only 2 of them running at 330 volts for around 18 watts. still pretty loud, but used the vvr on the whole amp and voila...just right. still has a good tone even at what i would presume to be around 4 or 5 watts! I love the wrecks!! I cant get any fx to sound good in front of them. I mean, they dont sound bad, just not as good as straight in and Im a little spoiled now. Was your experience the same? I've heard your playing ( your really good )and I know you know what i mean. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.  :icon_redface:
I wonder what happens if I .......

Paul Marossy

I think it sounds really good with the guitar plugged straight into it, and it seems to take pedals pretty well too. It's very "touch sensitive", it follows your playing dynamics very very well.

zambo

Yeah, I may have to build when I get a few bucks. I sold all my single ended amps. Kind of missing one now. just a cool feel. Cant wait to build another one!

Paul Marossy

Yeah, single ended amps are fun. I'm never getting rid of this one, but I did sell my other two DIY tube amp builds a while ago.

Paul Marossy

Picture showing the short piece of shielded wire on the input that made my noise problem go away.

zambo

Paul Marossy

puretube

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 01, 2012, 07:13:47 PM
Picture showing the short piece of shielded wire on the input that made my noise problem go away.

It`s common practise, to wire that "input"-resistor with the shortest possible length of wire as close to the tube.pin as possible...  :icon_wink:
(yes, rumour has it, that there are individuals who can hear differences in circuit- (and PCB-) layouts...)  :icon_smile:

ps.: ah, yes: and don`t leave that shield floating: like an antenna it`ll pick up stray dirt from all around, and bring it closer to the grid...

Paul Marossy

Quote from: puretube on July 02, 2012, 02:52:39 PM
It`s common practise, to wire that "input"-resistor with the shortest possible length of wire as close to the tube.pin as possible...  :icon_wink:
(yes, rumour has it, that there are individuals who can hear differences in circuit- (and PCB-) layouts...)  :icon_smile:

Yeah, but I didn't know all that stuff when I built this amp back in 2004. Shielded cable does wonders though.  :icon_razz:

puretube

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 02, 2012, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: puretube on July 02, 2012, 02:52:39 PM
It`s common practise, to wire that "input"-resistor with the shortest possible length of wire as close to the tube.pin as possible...  :icon_wink:
(yes, rumour has it, that there are individuals who can hear differences in circuit- (and PCB-) layouts...)  :icon_smile:

Yeah, but I didn't know all that stuff when I built this amp back in 2004. Shielded cable does wonders though.  :icon_razz:

If you twist the heater-wires (AC-hum carriers!) tightly, it can do wonders, too...  :icon_wink:

Paul Marossy

I DID know about twisting the filament wires when I built the amp.  :icon_wink:

puretube

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 02, 2012, 03:13:31 PM
I DID know about twisting the filament wires when I built the amp.  :icon_wink:

Pic won`t show...

Paul Marossy

Not in this one picture. There is a very short distance between V1 & V2, couldn't really do a whole lot of twisting on that one. But between PT to V3 and V3 to V1 & V2, it's twisted as tightly as I could get it by hand.