Anyone Wanna Make A PCB For Me?

Started by Paul Marossy, July 02, 2012, 12:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I don't have the time or patience to etch PCBs anymore.... need one Boss Slow Gear clone PCB from here: http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/BossSG1PCB.gif

Send me a PM if interested. Thanks...

Mustachio

Link is down. 

I recently started etching pcb's for myself doing the photo-resist method with mg chemicals fr4 positive presensitized boards.

I'm no pro like some of the others here on the board but I think I'm doing pretty good.

So far I've etched

Merlins Spark gap

Neutron - Mutron III

Scruffies Tone Bender MKII with onboard charge pump ( It was an old thread I found it in gonna post on it and tell him its now verified :) )

And I'm about to try to etch tone pads FSH-1 in the next few days I think I'll have an extra piece of pre-sensitized board left .

Are you in the US ? I should be able to etch this for you if some one better doesn't come along.

I don't really want anything for it, you pay for the cost of the board and shipping. I'm not rich, in fact I'm really poor and I save penny's to make pedals for myself.

If you want I can post pics of the pcb's I've etched so far. I think they turned out nice. I don't do any fancy stuff like tinning or silkscreen the tops for component placement.

But you could print off a sticker and pop it on top if you wanted.

Like I said I'm newish to etching so if no one else wants to help just let me know.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Paul Marossy

Thanks. Forgot to mention, I'll pay whoever is willing to do it. Just need a willing party...

Mustachio

Well I'm willing but its up to you. I haven't had any problems with my etches they all worked first go :D

here's a few pics.

I did these in the last month or 2.

You PCB image link is down but I found this http://warznokk.free.fr/EffectProject/BOSS%20-%20Slow%20Gear/BossSG1PCB.gif maybe it will help

therecordingart

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 02, 2012, 12:51:56 PM
I don't have the time or patience to etch PCBs anymore.... need one Boss Slow Gear clone PCB from here: http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/BossSG1PCB.gif

If you have the gerber or DXF files I'd be glad to mill them on my CNC that I just got running.

Mustachio

Woah nice! what kind of cnc set up do you have? Any info would be great id like to get into something like that some time.

therecordingart

I bought the mydiycnc.com kit. For the price it is hard to beat. I haven't been able to complete a project yet because the learning curve is intense, but I feel like once I get going I'm going to quickly outgrow this machine.

JohnForeman

Quote from: therecordingart on July 02, 2012, 11:59:17 PM
I bought the mydiycnc.com kit. For the price it is hard to beat. I haven't been able to complete a project yet because the learning curve is intense, but I feel like once I get going I'm going to quickly outgrow this machine.

I have a hobby cnc mill that I've been using for a few years running Mach 3 mill software.  What software are you using to convert the the pcb jpg to g-code?  I've been thinking of trying to cut my own pcb but i haven't taken the time to actually find evrything I need to make it happen.  Be sure to post some pics when you do one.

therecordingart

I haven't been 100% successful yet, but you can use Inkscape to trace the outline of the PCB artwork. That is the part I'm perfecting now. Then there is a plugin to export the g-code from Inkscape.

JohnForeman

Quote from: therecordingart on July 03, 2012, 07:17:02 AM
I haven't been 100% successful yet, but you can use Inkscape to trace the outline of the PCB artwork. That is the part I'm perfecting now. Then there is a plugin to export the g-code from Inkscape.

where can the pcb image files be found.  I was wanting to use a tonepad pcb but I can only find the pdf format (the one that's in the build document).  i have inskape and could run a test or two if i could find a file.  Also, for any others out there reading this that make your own pcb drawings, what software are you using to make the pcb drawings?
thanks

therecordingart

Quote from: JohnForeman on July 03, 2012, 08:55:08 AM

where can the pcb image files be found.  I was wanting to use a tonepad pcb but I can only find the pdf format (the one that's in the build document).  i have inskape and could run a test or two if i could find a file.  Also, for any others out there reading this that make your own pcb drawings, what software are you using to make the pcb drawings?
thanks

You use the PDF from TonePad. You grab the toner transfer image from their PDF file, open it in Inkscape, and trace. The part I'm having a hard time with is tracing smoothly, and their autotrace sucks.

JohnForeman

Quote from: therecordingart on July 03, 2012, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: JohnForeman on July 03, 2012, 08:55:08 AM

thanks

You use the PDF from TonePad. You grab the toner transfer image from their PDF file, open it in Inkscape, and trace. The part I'm having a hard time with is tracing smoothly, and their autotrace sucks.

thats what i'm trying to do now.  not having much luck either.  i converted to image formats but the resolution went south.  I'm currently trying to trace the objects since i was able to create the pdf pcb as objects.  dont know how, it just came in that way when i last opened the pdf file from tonepad

Paul Marossy

Quote from: therecordingart on July 02, 2012, 09:44:01 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 02, 2012, 12:51:56 PM

If you have the gerber or DXF files I'd be glad to mill them on my CNC that I just got running.

Huh, that's cool. I could make you a DXF of my AutoCAD layout which is very similar to the one I linked above. That should work, right?

therecordingart

A DXF file should work fine. I'm a CNC noob, but I'm getting much more proficient. This would be the perfect way for me to get crackin' at PCBs since I suck at my own layouts.

JohnForeman

I was able to get a good trace from inkscape.  I cut out everything from the pdf except the pcb.  then i selected all the objects that were left and grouped them.  then i had to set the inkscape bitmap preferences to a resoultion of 900.  then you can select the group object and make a bitmap copy under the 'edit' function or by using alt+b.  once i got a good bitmap i was able to create the trace under the path menu 'trace bitmap'  I used edge detection and played around with the settings until i got a good trace.  now i'm looking for the best method of converting to gcode.  still googling that one.  I guess i could save it out as a dfx and see how mach 3 deals with it.  but i really need to stop doing this and get back to putting my new build in the enclosure..  keep me posted on any updates you may have.
-John

Paul Marossy

Quote from: therecordingart on July 03, 2012, 10:31:55 AM
A DXF file should work fine. I'm a CNC noob, but I'm getting much more proficient. This would be the perfect way for me to get crackin' at PCBs since I suck at my own layouts.

OK, well if you want to give it a try, I uploaded a DXF file for you here: http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/SlowGearPCB-Only.dxf

PDF of PCB here: http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/SlowGearPCB-Layout.pdf