Low pass filter for my dog

Started by jubal81, July 04, 2012, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

On top of my bad playing, my pooch has to hear what I guess are a lot of unpleasant high frequencies I can't hear.

I'm thinking the simplest approach would be a simple, passive low-pass filter in my Mini Mass. I've read human hearing tops out at about 20kHz. Any design ideas on resistor/cap values, voltages, first/second order or anything else I can't think of to help my dog with minimal impact on my tone?

CynicalMan

Your speaker should be doing that for you. Nearly all guitar speakers have a steep roll-off above 5kHz, looking like this:

Jumbosize

Just out of curiosity, is your dog actually showing any sign of distress or discomfort from your playing? It is true that dogs can hear higher pitches than humans but even so he (she?) may not really be bothered by them. But I'm no expert...

jubal81

Well, I did some more research and I found that just because a dog is howling it doesn't mean the sound is hurting their ears, not to mention it's likely the human-audible spectrum that they're reacting to.

Jdansti

My dogs don't howl, but my wife does.   I think it's because I'm not a very good player.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mike Burgundy

One of our two dogs actually seems to like it. He howls at fire engine sirens, but the guitar... I actually have pictures of me playing while the dog rests his nose against the body, eyes closed, enjoying the vibration I guess.

amptramp

artifus

haha! love the pic! it's always a good idea to have someone else check the mix for you. he seems to be enjoying it.  :icon_biggrin:

amptramp

runmikeyrun

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

petey twofinger

AWWWWWWWWWWW .

this is the most heartwarming diy post i ever read .

good luck , good pet owner , i wish you the best !
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

markeebee

Quote from: Jdansti on July 05, 2012, 01:23:42 AM
My dogs don't howl, but my wife does. 

I noticed that about her too.

Quote from: petey twofinger on July 07, 2012, 10:00:19 PM

Not any more.

Jdansti

Quote from: markeebee on July 08, 2012, 03:34:05 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on July 05, 2012, 01:23:42 AM
My dogs don't howl, but my wife does. 

I noticed that about her too.

Quote from: petey twofinger on July 07, 2012, 10:00:19 PM

Not any more.

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...