Tonepad MXR Envelope Filter

Started by musiclikscreams, July 10, 2012, 10:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclikscreams

Can someone help make sense of the 3 mods for me? http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=113
I can't for the life of me understand them. I'm mostly interested in the reverse sweep but I would like to do the other 2 as well. Thanks

Govmnt_Lacky

If you are gung ho on building this then... by all means.

I found the envelope effect on this build to be very weak. The wah is not very pronounced.

If you want something that is subtle, this is it. I would look elsewhere if you want something that really kicks!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

musiclikscreams

Damn I had no clue. It was a board I had gotten a years ago from here.

I've been gettin into vero builds, got any suggestions for a good filter with a vero layout?

Mark Hammer

I've made several and they work just fine.

musiclikscreams

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 10, 2012, 12:56:15 PM

Can u send me a gut shot to help me understand what's going on in these mods? Schematics really make little to no sense to me

Nocaster Cat

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 10, 2012, 10:37:29 AMI found the envelope effect on this build to be very weak. The wah is not very pronounced. If you want something that is subtle, this is it. I would look elsewhere if you want something that really kicks!

Really? I may be wrong but I think the forbidden forum figured out that the EMMA DiscumBOBulator was the MXR with the Tonpad mods. If that's the case, I've owned the EMMA and would not consider it to be weak at all.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Nocaster Cat on July 10, 2012, 02:24:08 PM
Really? I may be wrong but I think the forbidden forum figured out that the EMMA DiscumBOBulator was the MXR with the Tonpad mods. If that's the case, I've owned the EMMA and would not consider it to be weak at all.

When I built my clone I only did the reverse sweep mod. The other mods may make it a stronger effect.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

davent

Quote from: musiclikscreams on July 10, 2012, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 10, 2012, 12:56:15 PM

Can u send me a gut shot to help me understand what's going on in these mods? Schematics really make little to no sense to me

I recently restarted this project and some day may actually finish. First time round it never worked, TI chipset, blow off the dust, dated June 2003, is that possible?  Always found that diagram for the sweep mod confusing but this is my take on it. Take your DPDT On/On switch and jumper between a pair of the outside terminals. Points 'G and 'H' represent the middle terminals of your switch so run a wire from each of those switch terminals, and i use different colours to help me keep things sorted, to the corresponding pad on the board. Points 'C' and 'D' represent the two remaining terminals on your switch so run wires from those terminals, matching wire colours C/G, D/H, to the corresponding pads on board.

For the Filter mod, points 'B' and 'I' are the center two terminals of a second DPDT (On/On), run different coloured wires from them to the board. A and J are an outside pair of terminals, run wires from those to the board making sure the switch will connect B->A and I->J when closed, the last pair of terminals on the switch are ignored.

For the Emphasize control  a wire is run from pad 'E' or 'F' on the board to the wiper of a 500k pot and a wire is run the remaining pad to one of the outside legs of the 500k pot and i can never rememember the correct arrangement but in the end it doesn't really matter. Green twisted pair in picture.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

chromesphere

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 10, 2012, 03:10:18 PM
When I built my clone I only did the reverse sweep mod. The other mods may make it a stronger effect.

I agree, definitely a weak filter effect for me too.  I'm comparing this to the FSH.  Infact for an envelope filter, id just bypass the MXR and go straight for an FSH.  That thing kicks a$$.  Heres mine:

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

musiclikscreams

Wow... now I wanna drop the mxr all together and make an fsh. Don't be surprised to see my half populated mxr board on the for sale thread in the future haha

chromesphere

Quote from: musiclikscreams on July 11, 2012, 09:59:20 AM
Wow... now I wanna drop the mxr all together and make an fsh. Don't be surprised to see my half populated mxr board on the for sale thread in the future haha

Do it :)
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube