BYOC reverb fail. No effect, just ringing!

Started by simpleobserver, July 12, 2012, 01:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpleobserver

Please help!!!  So this is the second time i tried to take the BYOC reverb schem and make a pedal out of it and the second time i failed.  Driving me crazy!  I'm usually pretty good at this...

Anyways, i have no effect but there's a loud ringing, i'm sure that means something but i don't know what.

Any ideas?

simpleobserver

So it's definately something to do with the reverb control.  It goes away when i roll the reverb all the way back. 

simpleobserver

But the other controls aren't doing anything at all.

simpleobserver

So, i'm pretty sure it's some crazy feedback in the pedal.  I might have put put a wrong resister somewhere or something.

Paul Marossy

simpleobserver

Hey Paul.  I love your website and wrote you a couple times when i started getting into this DIY pedal stuff.

I played with it a little and got it usable.  I'm pretty sure the feedback was going crazy.  I changed a resister to lessen the reverb (which alot of people have said to do) and it helped alot.  It is still giving me a little highend feedback-y ring, though.  I'm thinking it might just be that i'm using 5% resisters and a bunch of mylar caps, does that make sense or could it be something else.

R.G.

It could be almost anything.

What do the folks over at BYOC say?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: simpleobserver on July 12, 2012, 05:18:05 PM
Hey Paul.  I love your website and wrote you a couple times when i started getting into this DIY pedal stuff.

I played with it a little and got it usable.  I'm pretty sure the feedback was going crazy.  I changed a resister to lessen the reverb (which alot of people have said to do) and it helped alot.  It is still giving me a little highend feedback-y ring, though.  I'm thinking it might just be that i'm using 5% resisters and a bunch of mylar caps, does that make sense or could it be something else.

Cool, glad my site helped you in some way. I haven't seen the BYOC schematic. I built the GGG one with one of their PCBs and it works very nicely.

simpleobserver

Thanks for your help guys.  Basically the feedback was running away with itself.  I saw a couple threads about changing a resister in the feedback loop and it made the pedal managable.  I still don't think i did a perfect job with it, but it sunds like the demos i've heard. 

Paul Marossy

Quote from: simpleobserver on July 21, 2012, 05:20:47 AM
Thanks for your help guys.  Basically the feedback was running away with itself.  I saw a couple threads about changing a resister in the feedback loop and it made the pedal managable.  I still don't think i did a perfect job with it, but it sunds like the demos i've heard. 

Well at least it's useable now.  :icon_wink: