Multi-Color Ribbon Cables Question

Started by Ofek Deitch, July 15, 2012, 02:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ofek Deitch

Hi everybody! :)

I wanna start using these cables that are attached to each-other (Like the ones below.. ) , basically because it just looks awesome and really tidy and clean.

I found this seller on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F01971-1-meter-40WAY-Flat-Color-Rainbow-Ribbon-Cable-wire-for-home-appliance-etc-/270861067541?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1093e515#ht_6007wt_952

It looks great! But I don't know what's the AWG of the cable itself? like 22AWG of 18AWG? Because I use 22 and if it's 18 I'll probably not use it because it's to big...
So I gotta know it before ordering...

Does anyone knows what AWG are these sort of ribbon cables usually?

Thanks !!
Ofek  ;D

DiscoVlad

It's pretty fine, and usually 28 AWG which can be quite fiddly to work with.

R O Tiree

Well, his shipping rate to Israel says, "Free Shipping". That's a good start...

It would be interesting to know what sort of cores are inside those spangly-coloured wires. If they are solid cores, I'd probably stay clear - more difficult to work with and prone to breakage. If they're multi-strand (say 7/0.2, which means 7 x 0.2mm wires inside each sheath) then I'd go for it.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Ofek Deitch

Have any of you ever worked with this type of wire? Because if you have then I can just order what your'e using..

garcho

If you peruse the 'pictures' thread, you'll see plenty of guts, and plenty of different wiring and wires. Find something you like and send them a message, maybe they'll reply with some advice.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ofek Deitch

Seljer

I've got a few old rainbow colour harddrive/floppy drive cables that I've dissected an use the wire for wiring up stompboxes every so often. I cut however many wires I need apart with an exacto knife and tin the ends before soldering. Its pretty thin but it's not like effect pedals are using tens of amperes of current. It makes wiring up potentiometers very neat.

defaced

For 5.50 a meter, buy a meter of it and find out. 
-Mike

Jdansti

If possible, PM the seller.

BTW, I also reuse old computer ribbon cables. Since I have so many, they're basically free. The gauge is around 28AWG, but it's stranded and holds up pretty well. Just make sure you tin it as you would any stranded wire.

Edit: I forgot to say not as pretty as the rainbow wire, though. :)

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

chromesphere

I used ribbon cable on my zombie build.  It was the cheapest nastiest ribbon cable (futurlec).  Still turned out really neat.  If i had of built it with single wires, id have 15 wires from those pots, and i'd expect it wouldnt have looked as neat.

I've since bought better / thicker stuff from my local electronics shop (jaycar in australia), have yet to use it but im thinking its going to be easier.  The futurlec stuff was really fiddly.
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

PRR

> what's the AWG of the cable itself?

Let me Google "ribbon cable gauge" for you:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ribbon+cable+gauge

Most is #28, some #26. These fit the "standard" press-on (IDC) connectors you may remember from floppy drives (or IDE drives). You can find #22 and #32 but not common.

At #28 you need a GOOD stripper. The internal wire may be only 7 strands, and if you nick a few strands the wire gets VERY weak, will break halfway around your World Tour. (The press-on connectors are gentle to the wire and support it, but then you need connectors and pins on your board.)
  • SUPPORTER

greaser_au

Quote from: PRR on July 15, 2012, 11:14:33 PM
At #28 you need a GOOD stripper. The internal wire may be only 7 strands, and if you nick a few strands the wire gets VERY weak, will break halfway around your World Tour. (The press-on connectors are gentle to the wire and support it, but then you need connectors and pins on your board.)

We used to use thermal strippers for delicate wire like this in the factory... not a cheap solution, but the astute DIY-er may be able to come up with something - e.g. a cheap soldering iron with a fine tip.

david

Ofek Deitch

Thanks everybody for the responds!

I think I'll just order it and find out... :)