Need help on how to ID the terminals!

Started by JTay216, July 22, 2012, 04:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTay216

I am new to this and have been reading books and watching videos on how to build stompbox's. So now I want to give it a shot. I saw an article about the tweak-o box with dam near step by step instructions. I was told that it would be very good to build for a 1st timer. Now the problem I have is while looking at the PCB layout for this build It shows you where the terminals are (because the step by step.), however there is no real difference in the symbols used in this drawing to show the difference. Now using that guide a reference to further my knowledge I noticed once I looked at other boards I had no Idea where the terminals are. So any one that can tell me what to look for it would be very helpful. I think they might be the little squares on the board. Either way please let me know. Thanks JTay!

Jdansti

Welcome!!! :)

Is this the layout drawing you have a question about?

(https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/TweakO/TweakO.htm)

Which terminals are you referencing (pots, jacks, switch, capacitors, etc)?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

smallbearelec

Hi--

I think you were looking at my How-To on making a printed circuit board. I used the Tweak-O as an example there, and I presumed that the reader would be familiar with that circuit and with basic construction techniques. All of this is a couple of levels beyond where you want to start. The previous poster set you straight by pointing to the article in Projects that focuses on building the Tweak-O on perfboard:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/TweakO/TweakO.htm

This is how I suggest starting, and a full kit is available:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=4

Regards
SD

JTay216

Yes that is the drawing I was looking at. Now I can understand this one because of the step by step instruction that the author posted with this drawing. Now My question is after reading the Tweak o drawing it does not have a different symbol for the location of the terminals. They are just dots on the board. If you look at this drawing of the "Crank" box"

http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/crank/crank-perf.png

It doesn't have the step by step instructions on how to put it together. Now just going off of the "tweak-o" build one would start off putting the terminals in 1st correct? So where are the terminals in the crank build? Are they the spots that are the squares on this drawing? (I.e. the ground, in , or the others that the pots attach to?)

p.s. I tried to upload the pic of the crank but could not for some reason any thoughts? (Damm you all must think I am a pain in the ass by now huh? LOL!)

JTay216

By the way smallbear that tutorial is very very very helpful! For some one who has no experience in electronics and never seen a schematic before, that has so much info to get people pointed in the right direction. I don't mean in any way to upset you by asking the question regarding the drawing. I now know that, like you said "was intended for people with some knowledge in electronics". I grasp things pretty quickly so with all that info you put out there I was able to understand a lot. (still so much more to learn!) Thanks JTay216!

Jdansti

No problem. We'll get you going on this addicting hobby!

First, to post a photo, you need to subscribe to a file hosting site like photobucket. Then you upload your photo to the site and copy the link that the site gives you. When you're writing a post, click on the "photo" icon above where you type and you'll see [ img][/ img] (I added some spaces so it wouldn't actually try to insert a photo). Paste your photo's link I between the brackets ][. Hit preview to see if it worked. 

Now to your main question:  My question is after reading the Tweak o drawing it does not have a different symbol for the location of the terminals. They are just dots on the board. If you look at this drawing of the "Crank" box"...It doesn't have the step by step instructions on how to put it together. Now just going off of the "tweak-o" build one would start off putting the terminals in 1st correct? So where are the terminals in the crank build? Are they the spots that are the squares on this drawing? (I.e. the ground, in , or the others that the pots attach to?)

Here's the crank layout:

You would connect the off board parts of the above PCB using a scheme as shown below.  This drawing shows one way to connect the 9v, ground, etc., including an indicator LED . There are a variety of ways to connect these off board components, so most designers omit that part so that the builder can use the method he/she likes best. I normally make these off board connections last so I don't have a bunch of stuff hanging off of the board while I'm working on it.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

The pads on the PCB are not going to have different symbols because they are labeled to show exactly what should be connected to each pad. Similarly, the pads for resistors and diodes are shown as circles. Does this help?
  • SUPPORTER

JTay216

Ok that does make a lot more sense. I still have a ton more to learn about all this. The terminals that I am talking about are the push in terminals that small bear put in the tweak-o board first. After looking at the second drawing of the off board parts I see that the input, ground, +9, and output all require the push in terminals. So if I am correct the crank would only need 5 of the push in terminals correct? Now also looking at the layout vs. The second drawing I noticed that the layout only labels the input, ground, and the +9. It doesn't label the second ground or the output. I am sure it is there I guess I don't know enough to see it. I really apologize for wasting your time asking this over and over again.
http://www.newark.com/vector-electronics/t42-1-m/terminal-push-in-pcb/dp/38F1328
These are the terminals that I am talking about, and Their locations in the pcb board.

Jdansti

Aha!  Now I understand about the terminals. I'm not sure why Small Bear is using them-maybe he can chime in on that. One use would be that they give you a small hunk of metal that sticks up above the component side of the board where you can solder a wire or component lead and still have some metal sticking up to serve as a test point that is easily accessible to your meter's probes.  Another would be to allow you to attach alligator leads so you can "tweak" it with various components without having to solder them in.

I think that most people don't use these type of terminals for routine projects. They just solder the wire to the pad as they would any other component.

Here's an example of a Tweak-O-Board I found on the web:

And here's a beautiful example of a wired PCB by forum member Jon Lyons (notice I'm not showing you one of MY boards :) ).

BTW-no apologies necessary!  Posting messages in a forum is not like talking face to face, so it often takes a few iterations for us to understand each other. ;)

Edit: corrected spelling on Jon's name-Sorry Jon!
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I forgot to comment on this: The second drawing I noticed that the layout only labels the input, ground, and the +9. It doesn't label the second ground or the output.

Wire all grounds to one common point. The easiest way is to use the sleeve terminal on the input or output jack since they are large enough to attach several wires.

Re: the Crank's output, you're right that it's not labeled. I haven't read up on this pedal, but it appears to be the center terminal of the volume pot.
  • SUPPORTER

smallbearelec

Quote from: Jdansti on July 24, 2012, 11:30:52 AM
Aha!  Now I understand about the terminals. I'm not sure why Small Bear is using them-maybe he can chime in on that.

At the time I did the kit (some years ago now), I was thinking in terms of the the way I often built as a kid. I was being very prescriptive, because I wanted to give a novice builder the best possible chance of success. It seems to have worked out; the kits have sold well, and the Tweak-O has been an introduction to FX-building for many people. Have fun, however you decide to build!

SD

JTay216

Ok now it all comes together. I can't thank either of you enough for the insight on this. Small bear I will be ordering a tweak from you this Friday (payday :icon_wink:) thanks again! Jdansti I hope to be able to pick your brain down the road if I get stuck somewhere. I have a feeling it will come sooner that later :icon_rolleyes: take care!

Jdansti

Glad to help. Small Bear and the other forum members are very nice and helpful. After you build and more fully understand your Tweak-O-Box, you'll be able to help someone else who has a question!  Don't forget to let us know how it turns out and don't be shy if you have questions during the build and testing. 

BTW: I like to point noobs (and everyone else) to this great video on soldering. No offense meant if you already know how. I've been soldering since I was 7 years old and I learned a few new things from it. 

• SUPPORTER