Joyo Crunch Distortion

Started by A.Crossfield, August 08, 2012, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Crossfield

I recently bought a Joyo Crunch Distortion for $40. I wanted an MI Crunch box but could not justify the $140 price tag. The Joyo actually sounds pretty good. I do not know the quality of the components in the Joyo pedal compared to the Crunch Box. Any opinions? Would it be a benefit to install upgraded caps, resisters, etc...I would like to get the most out of this pedal. Thank you.

chromesphere

Your probably not going to hear any difference upgrading the caps, resistors etc.  ANd although i havent opened one of these, for the budget price i'd imagine the hardware would be the first thing i'd be thinking about upgrading. (3pdt, jacks, etc).  But honestly for 40 bucks, probably wouldn't bother do that either.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

joelindsey

I agree, if you are going to do something to it upgrade the hardware. If it sounds good and isn't noisy, don't bother with the components. They are probably surface mount anyways. 

Jdansti

On the other hand...

If you want to play around with a cheap pedal for fun, your not going to be out huge dough if you fry it. I modded my $15 Danelectro Echo and had a good time doing it.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

newfish

There's something to be said for the 'Joyo' brand pedals.

A friend of mine recently put together a 2nd pedal board - and most of it is Joyo kit.

Their chorus and delay boxes are decent - and *much* quieter than the equivalent 'B*hringer' brand effects.

True, they're probably SMD inside - but they sit there, and they work - which is exactly what they should do.

Also, I think he gets a kick out of the 'inverted snobbery' - having budget pedals sat next to his 'Fulltone'...  :icon_wink:
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Mark Hammer

Just about everything that isn't DIY is SMD these days.

I was given a Joyo pedal recently, that had succumbed to a novice's attempts to "improve" it.  Apart from the damage done by a soldering tip far too wide for the task attempted, I was impressed with the Joyo build quality.

And quite frankly, it's rock and roll, and it's distortion.  If one was attempting to extract a few more tricks that Joyo omitted to save on production costs, that would be one thing, but exactly how much tinkering to refine the tone is warranted? 

midwayfair

The hardware in Joyo's first run was much better than the current boxes. If it's one of the pedals from last year, I'd say you've got a real keeper. Otherwise, I'd consider a rehouse and nothing else. If we were talking about the Tremolo, though, that needs an external volume control. The volume drop was ridiculous in that thing. :(
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

WGTP

Don't forget you can tweek the internal trim pot.   :icon_rolleyes:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames