TRUE BYPASS QUESTION ?

Started by syntaxera, August 09, 2012, 09:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntaxera

Ok, so I just finished putting together a "THING MODULATOR" pedal with the incorrect LM567 chip (not the proper LMC567, as I didn't know there was a difference till my issues today) in line and wired up "true bypass" with a 3PDT switch.  And... you might have guessed it, I am getting a whining noise from the LM567's oscillator when in BYPASS mode.  I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it, or even lower it.... nothing has worked.  But that's another topic...   

What I don't understand is...    How is the effect circuit leaking into a BYPASS?      I thought that a true bypass simply connects the input to the output inside the pedal as though it were just plugged straight into the amp.  What do I have wrong here?  Why would the effects oscillator be able to leak in?  It's just not making sense to me  :-/

can anyone shine some light on this for me?    :icon_frown:

pappasmurfsharem

Can you post a picture of your wiring?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

RandomGlitch

syntaxera

Quote from: RandomGlitch on August 09, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
Try this, it grounds the input AND the output

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93107.msg799130#msg799130

I did, but not in that configuration.  I will try that first thing in the AM and report back...    thanks for your input  ;)

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on August 09, 2012, 10:17:44 PM
Can you post a picture of your wiring?

sure, also tomorrow.... I will post the circuit design and picture of the wiring.  Please check back and thanks for offering some help.

But it still doesn't make sense at all that it should be happening to me and a lot of other people who built this thing...  it's being BYPASSES, no? 

PRR

> it's being BYPASSES, no?  

You have a VERY LOUD oscillator in the same box, effectively "inside the guitar-cable shield".

In such a case you _may_ have to rig additional switching to kill the oscillator when un-wanted. Most tremolo tube-amps stall the trem oscillator for the same reason.
  • SUPPORTER

syntaxera

Quote from: PRR on August 10, 2012, 01:23:09 AM
> it's being BYPASSES, no? 

You have a VERY LOUD oscillator in the same box, effectively "inside the guitar-cable shield".

In such a case you _may_ have to rig additional switching to kill the oscillator when un-wanted. Most tremolo tube-amps stall the trem oscillator for the same reason.

So, pretty much you are saying..  no true bypass with the LM567?  No matter what cap / res combo or switch wiring will help me in this situation?  And that I should just go with a  "pedal on/off" AND "effect on / off" switches?

Do you think getting the LMC567 will fix them problem?  I just ordered a few...

Ughhh ! Such a simple circuit, with such a load noise problem... what to do.. what to do.. 

syntaxera

Quote from: RandomGlitch on August 09, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
Try this, it grounds the input AND the output

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93107.msg799130#msg799130

Tried it... sadly it didn't work :-/  but thanks for the suggestion anyway..   seems like a good method to get RGB LED noise out of a true bypass situation.  Something I have also had experience with.  Sucks to have a pedal working perfect and have it turn pretty much not usable because of the last and most important switch on the unit.  And we LOVE doing it!  No wonder most people think we are nuts!  My friends give up after 5 mins of trying to figure out the most simple computer problem :) lol Well, if the aliens come for us Dec 21st....  I'm pretty sure they will take us with them hahaa

Thanks again for the help everyone

danielzink

Have you tried shielded wire on the Input and Output ?

On a crazy hhigh gain circuit like that - it's always a good idea.....

Dan

syntaxera

Quote from: danielzink on August 10, 2012, 07:05:37 AM
Have you tried shielded wire on the Input and Output ?

On a crazy hhigh gain circuit like that - it's always a good idea.....

Dan

no, how would I go about doing that?