Small Bear - The Bare Box #1

Started by smallbearelec, August 14, 2012, 12:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavley

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

oldschoolanalog

Great work Steve!
Honestly, I'll wait for completely UN-drilled before ordering a bunch (if they will be available). I prefer to pick and choose my own hole locations.
Anybody else feel the same?
Discuss...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

smallbearelec

smallbearelec

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on August 14, 2012, 01:17:24 PM
I'll wait for completely UN-drilled before ordering a bunch (if they will be available).

I know they will be needed that way, and It Will be done. The hole locations for most purposes just seemed so obvious, and I had to choose how to spend for the initial order.

oldschoolanalog

Thanks! I will wait patiently! The first run will probably sell out real quickly...  ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 14, 2012, 09:46:35 AM
I gather that eventually, once sales and production of the box are firmly established, powder-coated versions will become available.

I may eventually have a few standard colors done in Taiwan, but minimum orders are high, turnaround is months, and I can't possibly anticipate the variety that customers will want. Also, as you know, it's usually best to drill before coating. For those who want drill-and-powder-coat-to-order, pedalpartsplus.com will do this. We have had an unofficial--but very mutually happy--relationship for years, since Connie started buying the 125-B in bulk and doing the manufacturing stuff with it that I don't want to do in Brooklyn.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on August 14, 2012, 01:44:44 PM
The first run will probably sell out real quickly...  ;D
The supplier's blessing.....and curse.  :icon_wink:

Quote from: smallbearelec on August 14, 2012, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 14, 2012, 09:46:35 AM
I gather that eventually, once sales and production of the box are firmly established, powder-coated versions will become available.

I may eventually have a few standard colors done in Taiwan. But I can't possibly anticipate the variey that customers will want. Also, as you know, it's usually best to drill before coating. For those who want drill-and-powder-coat-to-order, pedalpartsplus.com will do this. We have had an unofficial--but very mutually happy--relationship for years, since Connie started buying the 125-B in bulk and doing the manufacturing stuff with it that I don't want to do in Brooklyn.
Understood.  And quite frankly, given the tsuris ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tsuris ) involved with prepping non-flat surfaces, I would think customers would be content to have less than the full gamut of colors available; a small price to pay for the many advantages obtained.

And of course, once the Bare Box overtakes the 1590BB in sales, then we can figure out what to do about those colors.  :icon_mrgreen:

azrael

i am excite.

can we see pics of the original bondo-ed prototype? :D

Mustachio

AWESOME! these look great! Can't wait till their in stock! well done fellas well done! :D
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

pinkjimiphoton

nice steve!!!

they look great!!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

jkokura

Steve, you're a king among bears.

I'll take a few right of the bat, but I'd love a completely non drilled one.

Jacob

Electron Tornado

Quote from: smallbearelec on August 14, 2012, 01:23:08 PM
Quote from: Electron Tornado on August 14, 2012, 11:00:30 AM
Will you have engineering drawings available in a PDF file...?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/picture_library/BareBox1Top-A1-Top.pdf
http://www.smallbearelec.com/picture_library/BareBox1Top-A1-Btm.pdf

Thanks, Steve, but what I really need are lengths, widths, and depths of the two sections as well.

By the way, I also like the battery compartment.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

.Mike

These are very cool.

I have to ask. Small Bear - The Bare Box #1. Could this mean that box #2 is already be in the works? :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Electron Tornado on August 14, 2012, 07:36:00 PM
what I really need are lengths, widths, and depths of the two sections as well.

Those drawings are what I have right now. I will ask for more detail.

SD

smallbearelec

Quote from: .Mike on August 14, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
Could this mean that box #2 is already be in the works?

It will probably happen, though likely not till some time next year, after my bank account has recovered. Also, the size and shape of #1 seemed incredibly obvious to me.  I'm not as sure what #2 will look like. One possibility would be a 125-BB size with the "well" for the pots. Suggestions and discussion welcome!

asatbluesboy

If someone made the Ibanez 7-series boxes (or at least that neat pot trick) I'd buy them by the dozen.

Seriously, now, a bigger box seems to be the next logical step. Maybe kinda looking like the BOSS Twin Pedals for even more room.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

amptramp

You could make a hinged pedal to actuate the switch on the stompbox.  That would complete the path to looking like a mass-produced pedal from the leading manufacturers.  Then just pull the hinge pin to get at the battery.  Maybe enlarge the bottom plate like the flanged lid 1590's so if you want to bolt the thing to the pedalboard (so it doesn't grow legs and walk away when you aren't looking), the user can do it.

trixdropd

Looks like some thing I'll be buying!

culturejam

This is just all kinds of awesome.