Tool for shrinking heat shrink tubing - talk to your significant other

Started by R.G., August 18, 2012, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

My significant other was doing a drawer cleanout and I noticed her Revlon hot styling brush lying there, sans its styling brush; just the handle left. It suddenly struck me that this was a source of hot air. Nah, could not be hot enough to shrink tubing. Upon inquiry, I found that the brush end of it was cracked and would no longer stay attached to the hot-air handle. It was, in a word, completely surplus.

A quick trip to the work bench confirmed that I was wrong in my first estimation. It would too shrink heat shrink tubing.  :)

It's worth checking with your lady acquaintances. Do they by some chance have one of the styling brushes with a cylindrical brush on a hot-air handle that no longer meets their needs but still puts out hot air? If so, you have a neat, tidy, effective heat shrink tool for the asking.

The one I'm using is a Revlon hot air styling brush, model RV444. It's going in the tool box with the PTS-10 thermal wire stripper.

Almost forgot. They're only about $15 new.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

B Tremblay

That's a pretty elaborate cover story for R.G. using his hot styling brush so much it broke!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

artifus

^ i'm glad i can't see the bottom half of that pic, i have the feeling it would make me wince.

i can't get the image of rg stood in front of a mirror attending to his luscious long locks out of my head now!

petey twofinger

there is a resale store round the corner , its called ' second chance " . they throw a lot of stuff away , a lot of more manly stuff .

we have nick named the dumpster " third chance " ...

got one of those hair wands , we call it the mini drier , use it for removing price tags from goodwill / drying paint , shrink , i love that lil guy . it has a swivel for the AC cable too . its surprisingly HOT for its size as well .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Jdansti

Regular hair driers work well too (when my wife loaned out my heat gun). Ours have been 1500W-1800W, but I imagine you could go down to around 1000w.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

head_spaz

Hey R.G.
Be very careful scouting her 'toy box'...
because some of her 'other' toys may not be so useful unto you...
in a very bad kind of way!
And you don't even wanna go there! :icon_eek: :icon_idea:
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

reveal

Mark Hammer

A buddy asked me to repair a basket of his old EHX pedals.  One of them is a 10-band graphic equalizer, with 7 of the sliders shafts snapped off near the base.  I sawed up some little pieces of copper board to the proper dimensions (they were the same thickness as the shafts), glued them onto the broken shaft ends, and secured the whole thing with hunks of white heat shrink tubing, so that they don't look too different from the normal white plastic knobs, and show up well against the black background.  Obviously not the sturdiest things in the world, but he'll be able to move the sliders around and see them easily.

Crazy glue, heat shrink, and heat guns...is there anything they can't fix?

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: head_spaz on August 19, 2012, 10:08:20 AM
Hey R.G.
Be very careful scouting her 'toy box'...
because some of her 'other' toys may not be so useful unto you...
in a very bad kind of way!
And you don't even wanna go there! :icon_eek: :icon_idea:

some high frequency oscillators ;D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

greaser_au