Anyone built the Wampler Pinnacle?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, August 31, 2012, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

I just found this pedal while searching for clips on the BSIAB II.

It seems to have a much smoother Marshall-esque tone, and even more distortion and your disposal. Might just be the clips

This is the clip I'm referring too.

Most of the BSIAB II vids I have seen doesn't ,to me anyway, sound this good. It just sounds so much richer. Of course this could be a recording problem as people seem to think demoing a pedal with a webcam mic Is acceptable.

However has anyone built on using the layout at Guitar FX

Many of the comment speak of needing to bias the J201's. The layout does not include trimmers, and I'm afraid I would be wasting my time building this sound to find out its not the same.

Any help would be appreciated.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

IvIark

Socket the drain resistors and make a trimmer with flying leads so you can measure the required resistance to get you the 5-5.5V measurement, and then just pop in a suitable resistor in each case.  You can ignore Q2 and Q4. 

Or swap one JFET until you get one with a good reading and then use the JFET matcher to get others with similar characteristics.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: IvIark on August 31, 2012, 04:23:03 PM
Socket the drain resistors and make a trimmer with flying leads so you can measure the required resistance to get you the 5-5.5V measurement, and then just pop in a suitable resistor in each case.  You can ignore Q2 and Q4. 

Or swap one JFET until you get one with a good reading and then use the JFET matcher to get others with similar characteristics.

So to be clear, just find a good value resistor for Q1,Q3,Q5,Q6

I see the 22K's on Q5 and Q6 drains. Q1 and Q3 are mildly confusing. Source and drain are interchange I believe. The only resistors I see there are connected to the source so I'd adjust the 1K on Q3 but what on Q1, the 10k or the 1k?

Actually there's the source 1k resistors on Q5 and Q6 which do I choose?

IvIark

Sorry, I've done that many layouts recently they're all blurring into one! :D  Yes do the 10K source resistors for Q1 and Q3 and the 22K drain resistors for Q5 and Q6 would probably make more sense.

pappasmurfsharem

Cool! Also have you personally made it yet? If so how did it souND? There are no clone clips online that I could find

IvIark

No, I'm about 150 pedals behind in my builds.  I wouldn't get 90% of them verified if it wasn't for a very committed group of others!  :D

Pyr0

Quote from: IvIark on August 31, 2012, 06:39:31 PM
I'm about 150 pedals behind in my builds. 
Mega lols at this   ;D

love your layouts.