String damper built, hell yah, it works....but...

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 02, 2012, 10:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

The slow gear keeps coming up. Isn't this a slow gear with a faster attack, and a faster- or I guess a slower - release? The slow gear does single notes, as you mention, but only if you damp/kill in between notes. Otherwise like any gate it stays open for the whole note passage until you give it an opportunity to close.  It too requires a specific playing technique. It's all a question of envelope - when you say it does passages of notes, does the Damper have a longer gate window, requiring a longer period of silence before it will do its soft attack thing.
I love my Slow Gear, BTW, but it - perhaps like the String Damper- has a weakness.  I bring this up because you mention your pedal order.  If the slow gear is in front of a highly distorted pedal, as soon as it's long attack begins, the pedal is already saturated, by whatever clipping method used.  As a result, the slow attack I'll hear with a milder distortion or fuzz is lost, reduced to a much faster attack.  If I put the slow gear behind the mega-distorted pedal  the slow attack works great- but - you lose the bloom of having the distortion grow with the volume, like what you get with the gtr volume knob.  Maybe this isn't an issue with the Damper, because the attack is not as slow to begin with.  If I can't get my slow gear to do this damping thing, I'll have to try this.  Pretty cool.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

thehallofshields

Okay I did my homework and read the E&MM String Damper PDF.

So is the Decay control set the time it takes the Gate to close after your signal drops below the Threshold? At minimum (0.5ms) why does the pedal behave differently than the Slow-Gear?

Does it really not need a sensitivity control?. A LED switching when the Gate is opened or closed would be awesome too.