SWEET REVENGE High Gain Preamp - Based on the Soldano Avenger

Started by J0K3RX, September 05, 2012, 06:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: mindmob on October 04, 2012, 01:02:24 PM
YOU are the MAN !

I am looking forward to building one ... I have just finished building the Uberschall pedal, and it kicks /-\SS !

How can I add a noise gate to the SLO pedal ? ... the one You designed for UBERSCHALL ....

Ok, since the first layout I notice a few things that need to be changed... 1.) R15 should be 10k 2.) R4 should 10k maybe less...

Another thing is that I will most likely add a 5th gain stage! Right now it has 4 stages and a buffer so the new design will have 5 stages and a buffer. The 5th stage will be a duplicate of the 4th or a close variant. The noise gate will go in the same place as with the Uberskull, :icon_twisted: between the 4th and 5th stages...

The added stage seems to give it that "over the top" extra punch in combination with the boost stomp switch...

BTW - This would probably be a great mod for the Dr.Boogie! Extra gain stage, boost and noise gate! :icon_wink: :icon_wink: hint hint...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Quote from: mindmob on October 04, 2012, 01:02:24 PM
YOU are the MAN !

I am looking forward to building one ... I have just finished building the Uberschall pedal, and it kicks /-\SS !

How can I add a noise gate to the SLO pedal ? ... the one You designed for UBERSCHALL ....

mindmob -

You built the Uberskull and you didn't post any pics or sound clips!? What the hell is wrong with you man? :icon_twisted: Git yer @ss over there and post them results!  :icon_lol: Just Jokin with ya  :icon_mrgreen:

mindmob

lol I really suck when it comes to recording sound clips :) but take my word for it - I like the UBER mofo ALOT ... ;) cant wait to build the SR tho ...  :icon_twisted:

J0K3RX

Ok, bringing this one back to life...

Here's a new layout... I haven't built it with this layout but pretty sure it will work...

Board transfer
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/New%20Preamps/SR1.pdf

I am not a real big Soldano nut but I love the sound of this amp!

Here's a demo of the real amp in the "Monsters of High Gain" shootout between 13 different high gainers! Listen to Misha mainly and when he kicks on the TS9!

JebemMajke

Yeah, I;ve forgot to mention it on the other topic. E3 does Soldano sounds :D.

J0K3RX

To me the Soldano Avenger doesn't sound at all like other Soldanos! Definitely doesn't sound like a SLO100... Has an almost Engl sound to it, to me anyway...

defaced

Quote from: J0K3RX on April 19, 2013, 06:36:14 AM
To me the Soldano Avenger doesn't sound at all like other Soldanos! Definitely doesn't sound like a SLO100... Has an almost Engl sound to it, to me anyway...
It should sound almost exactly like it.  Aside from the lack of a FX loop, it's the same circuit as the SLO OD channel. 
-Mike

J0K3RX

Quote from: defaced on April 19, 2013, 08:14:07 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on April 19, 2013, 06:36:14 AM
It should sound almost exactly like it.  Aside from the lack of a FX loop, it's the same circuit as the SLO OD channel. 

yup, you are right... huh? How stupid I didn't even notice that! It's text book SLO OD channel... Must be Misha or maybe I do love the SLO and didn't even realize it ha ha...

full shred

anyone made this? soundsamples?
im so interrested. I have 1 question though.
Where is the noise gate? how is it done and shem info please!!!
thanks Jok3rx

full shred

Ok more questions as i try to understand this cirquit.

1. The buffer stays in the middle between 4th and 5th gain stages? thats what i get lookking the layout. Or is it a top boost at the end of it?
2. Where should the noise gate added?
3 Is it a cap there missing?

thanks if anyone answers this:P

pakrat

Take a look at this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98954.0
The boards are similar and there's a lot of cool stuff going on in there  :icon_twisted:

J0K3RX

Quote from: full shred on May 18, 2013, 09:41:59 AM
Ok more questions as i try to understand this cirquit.

1. The buffer stays in the middle between 4th and 5th gain stages? thats what i get lookking the layout. Or is it a top boost at the end of it?
2. Where should the noise gate added?
3 Is it a cap there missing?

thanks if anyone answers this:P

There are only 4 gain stages.. the other 2 are buffer/amplifiers, before and after the tone stack so that you get good loud output. No noise gate and may not need one but if you wanted to add one I would put it between the 3rd and 4th jfets. Cap missing, not sure I see that? can you explain? Something I thought of after looking at the Amptweaker Tight Metal pedal is that you could have a dual gang 1M gain pot that would also double as the noise gate so as you turn up the gain the the noise gate would track it and raise with the gain level. There is a switch on the last layout that changes the tone stack if you look at SW1-1 and SW1-2...

full shred

Cap missing after the third gain stage in parallel with 39k resistor. :) ???

defaced

No bypass on the cold clipping stage. Its supposed to be just a 39k.
-Mike

J0K3RX

I added pads for a cap just in case for experimental purposes... no cap. :icon_wink:

full shred

Thanks.. now that i have you masters here ill keep asking things....just to learn something and not just copy and make pedals without knolege..

Ok so the difference with the first layout is the amplification stage at the end?
Whats the use of the diodes in the s and g of the transistors? I think the amp doesnt use any.

J0K3RX

Quote from: full shred on May 20, 2013, 05:53:27 AM
Ok so the difference with the first layout is the amplification stage at the end?
Whats the use of the diodes in the s and g of the transistors? I think the amp doesnt use any.

The diodes are supposed to give it more "tube like dynamics" but, I really don't hear much of a difference myself... they can be left out.
You can read more about it here, scroll down to the part that says "Pseudo-triode" FET limitation
http://www.amtelectronics.com/support/articles/why_tube-like_cannot_measure_up_to_tube_inside/

temol

Sorry for resurrecting the old topic.  J0K3RX - any chance for the latest (or any) jfet Avenger schematic? I have one, but I'm not sure it's the same as you've posted in this thread.
I've breadborded the Avenger, sounds interesting. Heres the sample (along with other preamps)

T.