I have a problem with my DIY PCB[picture included]

Started by soohyun2222, September 09, 2012, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soohyun2222

I am making a project from generalguitargadets.
I did the toner method, you still can see a little bit of toner on the copper.
However, what I am worried about is that some copper from the trace fell off.

This one is large enough to see.

This one is not as large but you still can see it.

Do you guys have any solution to this?
Can I just apply solder to the gaps?

Eric.nail

Yeah that shouldn't pose too great a problem. If you're really concerned you can always drop a scrap strand of wire across and solder it down. That's what i'd do. it doesn't look like your connection is actually broken though. Grab out the old multi-meter and test continuity.

Good luck! oh and what's the board for?
I came, i saw, i taught little kids guitar for extorted prices.

nightendday

Quote from: Eric.nail on September 09, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Yeah that shouldn't pose too great a problem. If you're really concerned you can always drop a scrap strand of wire across and solder it down. That's what i'd do. it doesn't look like your connection is actually broken though. Grab out the old multi-meter and test continuity.

Good luck! oh and what's the board for?

This x juan meelion. Check it with a multimeter to be sure, but to me it looks like you'll be fine.

soohyun2222

Doesn't narrowing of copper lines make sound quality go down?

Thanks for your input, I am making a Rodent pedal

egasimus

No, usually not really. It makes things less reliable, though, so you could try tinning the trace and/or soldering a bit of wire on it. Good luck!

Keeb

Quote from: soohyun2222 on September 09, 2012, 12:16:41 AM
I did the toner method, you still can see a little bit of toner on the copper.

I don't know if this is your first build or first etch or both so I will give a few tips that might be helpful. Sorry if you already know all this.

Have you scrubbed the board with acetone? That removes the toner easily and it also removes any dirt/fingerprints from the copper.

It seems you didn't really get the toner to stick well enough in the first place or that you etched for too long. If the toner doesn't stick well enough or maybe it breaks when you peel off the paper you could use a type of pen to touch it up (a pen that is etch resistant). The type of pen might vary with what etchant you are using. I use sodiumpersulfate and I use a pen made for textile drawing.

Anyway, your board should be fine as long as you check for continuity with your DMM, if it doesn't have designated continuity function (beeps or lights up when contact) you could just measure the traces on the lowest resistance you multimeter accepts. If resistance reads as "0" there is a connection. If there's not, patch with solder or solder + a component lead.

Good luck with your build!

amptramp

Quote from: soohyun2222 on September 09, 2012, 01:24:31 AM

Very realistic.  It looks like rodents were chewing through the traces.  No problem with slapping a piece of wire on the overetched parts and soldering it down.  We even had cuts and jumpers on spacecraft wiring that were implemented with flat wire, something I hadn't seen used later than the 1920's where flat or square section wire was common in radios of the era.

Paint some rodents on the board and show them chewing traces before you wire it.  As one of the most brilliant marketing men I ever worked with said, if you can't fix it, feature it.

artifus

haha! yeah, it's not a bug - it's a feature! "houston, we have a problem" - "no, it's supposed to do that..."

that's how most of my builds go and how many 'new designs' come about...  :P

*think of how many musical 'mistakes' have made the tune or even become new ones*

Eric.nail

Quote from: amptramp on September 09, 2012, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: soohyun2222 on September 09, 2012, 01:24:31 AM

Very realistic.  It looks like rodents were chewing through the traces.  No problem with slapping a piece of wire on the overetched parts and soldering it down.  We even had cuts and jumpers on spacecraft wiring that were implemented with flat wire, something I hadn't seen used later than the 1920's where flat or square section wire was common in radios of the era.

Paint some rodents on the board and show them chewing traces before you wire it.  As one of the most brilliant marketing men I ever worked with said, if you can't fix it, feature it.

If this was a facebook post, I'd 'like' it.
I came, i saw, i taught little kids guitar for extorted prices.

Jdansti

You'll still have bazillions of electrons whizzing around those little spots of missing trace (as long as there's continuity from one end of the trace to the other). I'd worry about it if you had high voltage/current on the board, but those spots won't be a problem for audio.

Your biggest problem is all of those sharp angles on the traces that cause the electrons to fly off of the board and punch holes in your aluminum enclosure.  :o

Just kidding!  ;D. Have fun with it!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...