Worst reverb fx you know

Started by WhenBoredomPeaks, September 10, 2012, 06:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenBoredomPeaks

I am about to gather some really bad reverbs for "comical" effect. In hardware the Rebote 2.5 set for short reverb time and high repeats sounds kinda like a bad reverb. Then i've seen a video about a vintage DOD reverb which is pretty bad but the decay is too short for me. Oh and i heard bad things about a Radioshack reverb. In software i have already found some bad plugins but i need more. I think the worst i heard was bundled with an older version of Sony Vegas which is a video editing software by the way. So maybe it would be "benefical" to get some older DAWs with their shitty stock plugins. (i am not saying that every stock plugins are bad, for example i use Reaper's comp and EQ in every project of mine)

What are some really bad/cheesy/unnatural analog/digital/software reverbs you know?

I think i will supply some sound samples for the thread later. (like a dry snare sample processed through some diff. plugins)

Gurner

Quote from: WhenBoredomPeaks on September 10, 2012, 06:50:25 AM
What are some really bad/cheesy/unnatural analog/digital/software reverbs you know?

this...

(not the kid...the thing he's holding)   .....a child's 'echo' mic (doesn't use batteries, just constructed in such a way to sound reverby! It Sounds like 4 bit reverb.....well cheesy!).

haveyouseenhim

^ Wow. I just got nostalgia'd.  

@whenboredompeaks  try the sewer pipes reverb or the noise ensemble    (sorry earthscum) :P
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

CynicalMan

I have a few of the radioshack/realistic reverbs, and they are pretty terrible, at least in terms of realism. They sound like highly filtered, mushy delays. However, they are BBD-based, so I might try modding one into an analog chorus eventually.

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Gurner on September 10, 2012, 07:16:50 AM.....a child's 'echo' mic (doesn't use batteries, just constructed in such a way to sound reverby! It Sounds like 4 bit reverb.....well cheesy!).
The ones I've seen have a big, loose spring inside.

Mark Hammer

The easiest way to get silly sounding reverb is to insert modification in the feedback path.  For example, put sme highpass filtering in the feedback path and crank it.  Later reflections will get progressively more strident: a rather unnatural sounding outcome (though a favourite of classic dub artists).

garcho

Mechaverb from Atomsplitter Audio can make some of the weirdest, worst most annoying stupid reverbs. In a good way  ;) I use it all the time, awesome AND free.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Seljer

Not really reverb, but if you have any convolution reverb plugin, instead of using a normal 'reverby' impulse response, use a guitar strum are a piano note/chord for the impulse response. You get this wonderfuly ghostly drone sound.

WhenBoredomPeaks

tried some different plugs (including the ones mentioned) on a drumhit:

http://soundcloud.com/dptp2
(the latest uploads)

@Gurner: i ordered one from ebay

@haveyouseenhim: i gonna build the sever pipes, i love the PT2399

@Mark: that is a good idea, maybe i should build a PT2399 based reverb with send/return jacks in the feedback path

@garcho: whoa that is truly bad, i included it in one of the soundclips

@Seljer: yeah, i think i will spend long hours on using all kinds of different samples as IR responses, for one of the drumhits i used a TR909 clap as an IR response

@artifus: it sounded better than i thought, it had an organic sound, i kinda liked it

Processaurus

Earthscum

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on September 10, 2012, 07:26:50 AM
^ Wow. I just got nostalgia'd.  

@whenboredompeaks  try the sewer pipes reverb or the noise ensemble    (sorry earthscum) :P

LMAO!!! I was gonna suggest it, myself  :D
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

~arph

Nasse

Boss RE-20 reverb knob... they say it is faithfully modelling the old
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

My vote goes to two tin cans and a string!!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: ~arph on September 12, 2012, 07:19:54 AM
The verb in the Silvertone 1448

Whoa how could i forgot that one?

I am in love with that reverb since i've heard it for the first time. What would be the cheapest way to get that reverb? I don't really need an another amp, is it possible to buy just the reverb tank from ebay or somehing?

btw it is 1484 i think

~arph

Yeah could be I got the numbers wrong. I think the tank is integrated into the chassis.

anchovie

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on September 10, 2012, 07:26:50 AM

The Noise Ensemble is one of mine, and it's certainly not the worst reverb!

It's the worst harmoniser.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.