Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronan

Every time I look at that Blue Monster, it just melts me...I don't know why, it just does...

garcho

QuoteI've had "unpleasant" reactions from some folks who would rather not have their time wasted by postings about the contest outside of this thread.

Wow, how silly of those people. These are great builds and interesting ideas regardless of the contest and this thread is already 50 pages and 1000 entries long, much of which is not related to the circuitry or builds but jolly banter. Hell, just explaining the rules took 10 pages. They would rather sift through faux Frank Gehry enclosures, Ron Burgandy jokes and pics of sausages instead of glance over a main forum thread? How long does it take to read a subject line, 0.1 seconds? Sorry that you got flack about it John, you're a positive force here.
I really don't understand the territorial attitude that non-Aron's have about DIYSB. Don't like it? Who gives a ____? Is your life such a piece of cake that a few extra threads on a forum seems irritating enough to send negative energy to someone? Weird.
I suppose the wisest thing is to just let the individual creators decide if they're going to do a build thread or not, and leave it at that.
Rant over.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

It's a mystery as to why there are "Contest Nazis", but I'm not going make a big deal about it or lose any sleep over it. I'm thankful for the forum as a whole, and I'm not looking to cause moderators or Aron to have to referee petty arguments.  Some things are worth fighting for and I'm careful about which battles I choose to fight.  I'll fight to the death to defend my family and country, but I choose to not get worked up over minor irritants. Ultimately this is Aron's site and I'm thankful that he supports the contest and that we have been given a thread in which to hold it.  :)

Enough talk about negative things.  I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this outstanding contest! :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

garcho

^ sorry to get negative, you're totally right. pedal power!!!!!!!!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

oldschoolanalog

This contest has produced more (many new) verified/ready to build designs in one place than I can ever remember seeing.
When was the last time any of us read a thread and said "I have to build one of those" more than ten times?
Again, thanks for sharing your efforts to all the contestants!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

pakrat

I really don't understand why more people don't join these contests. It allows you to get to know people better, have some friendly competition, and best of all it pushes you to take it to the next level. I hope we have many more of these.

tuckster

Quote from: Jdansti on November 25, 2012, 04:18:00 AM
I've had "unpleasant" reactions from some folks who would rather not have their time wasted by postings about the contest outside of this thread.
Yeah because that's the stuff spamming up the forum... All you haters get a life :icon_evil:
  • SUPPORTER

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: pakrat on November 25, 2012, 09:05:20 AM
I really don't understand why more people don't join these contests. It allows you to get to know people better, have some friendly competition, and best of all it pushes you to take it to the next level. I hope we have many more of these.
This was really the one to be in. I don't know if there will ever be a prize pool to even approach the one here.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Vallhagen

Awright... ive just taken myself time to listen and look more closely to the "late" entries. All goodies. Damm yea. What a quality competition this is.

Beo... Yea. Three drivin pedals in one. Classy multicolor etching as well as a very welldieigned board:)!
LucifersTrip ... Your insanity actually made me laugh. Vintage solder dammit! Very very far beyond/above/under/in front of/etc... the ordinary DIY stuff i see around here daily! What an effort!
GGBB... Very nice n shining complete fuzz thing you have there. And you managed to squeeze a battery in as well. If that is just your second(!) build, who knows what you can come up with later on!
Mustachio... That looks so good i wanna eat it! Sounds really good too. I'm gonna build one.
Jdansti... You're shocking with a "not-completely-toilet-mad-entry or what? :icon_lol: ... Thats just a great pedal:)
Samhay... I haven't been around every corner of the DIY web, but to me, the idea of adding the second upper octave is allnew. Great n'fun! And im impressed about an "A-size" build. Im too comfortable to go there myself. And... i need magnifiers for my BB builds with my eyes...
defaced... your "Completely Populated Board" picture shows something so top-of-all-lines so... nope i wont get close. So much perfection in every architechture detail. Brilliant! I really look forward to hear and view that thing when u get it alive!
pakrats second... Yep. Finally THEE tube screamer... I really like your OP-amp board. The "stacking OP-amp" idea that comes up now n then dont really attract me... Your solution does:)

It's fun to be in:)

Cheers!

Vallhagen

Quote from: Ronan on November 25, 2012, 04:32:41 AM
Every time I look at that Blue Monster, it just melts me...I don't know why, it just does...

Luv to read that, Ian! That post just made my day. Really:) Thank you!

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Jdansti on November 25, 2012, 04:18:00 AM
I've had "unpleasant" reactions from some folks who would rather not have their time wasted by postings about the contest outside of this thread.

@#$% them.  :icon_eek:

there, i said it.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

well, i mean if they're bitching about this, they're f-tards. screw 'em.

everyone here is having fun, nobody is hurting anyone else, and ultimately, everyone on the forum benefits.

if that's an issue, they can KMFWAA
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

I would really like to thank all the participants once again. All the entries are top notch, and quite frankly, I wish we had a prize for every entry, because in my books, there are no "losers" here. Whether it be through our admiration/facination of hardware, or the fact that we managed to attract such a fine bunch of builders together "under one roof", I believe everybody's a winner here.

@pakrat - We were not too mystified as to why we didn't get a greater participation. Ultimately Greg was really disappointed with the way the 1000 competition was handled, and we believe that many other shared his POV. He has been holding the reigns of this wild stallion throughout. It was his idea from the get go, and Jimi and myself were just crazy... um, I mean honored, enough to jump onto that wagon.  :icon_lol:

Actually, it was touch and go there in the very beginning, because Greg really wasn't sure if it would fly at all. We knew that we would be facing a certain section of the forum population that may have felt a bit snake-bit from the 1000 Comp, but I feel that Greg may have been on a mission to right a wrong as well. For this, we would have been more than happy to take a bullet for him. I think it's part of the reason that Jimi and I also vollenteered our builds as prizes as well. Not so much as to show off any particular skill per se, but rather, to say "Thank you" to all of you who have helped our noob a$$es (paraphrasing Jimi :icon_mrgreen:) along the way. If it weren't for all of you, the Colorsound Vocalizer clone, among many other builds, would have probably never seen the light of day.

The fact that you state that "this was the one to be in", is our reward for our our work. In the end, the phrase "You get out, what you put in" has been validated. Insofar as having another one is concerned... I guess we're going to have to learn how to push Greg's "This is morally incorrect, and now I'm mad as hell, so I'm suggesting a contest to fix things" button.  :icon_mrgreen:

And, I second my brother Jimi's sentiment on the unpleasent reactionaries. Funny how some like to poo-poo things, when they've found themselves on the outside, looking in. Shame really, and that's all I have to say about that.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

jkokura

Great stuff guys and gals! I'm looking forward to congratulating the winners and mailing PCBs out ASAP.

That mega TS, the Blue Monster, that Echobase, and the cutthroat are blowing my mind.

Jacob

midwayfair

The only flack I saw publically -- I don't know what the judges got in PMs etc -- was when people complained about a bunch of threads linking to/publicizing the contest elsewhere on the forum. Like the picture of a turkey. People just thought the judges were spamming the forum and/or didn't like that the threads were basically repeat content from elsewhere. I can understand their irritation but not the time they took to post about their irritation, which probably took more time and energy than just ignoring the thread.

Anyway, it would be a nightmare trying to contain multiple builds and troubleshooting questions in the same thread, and especially the contest thread, which has a ton of other stuff. I had planned on making a thread for my Blue Warbler here on DIYSB after the JMK PCB run is ready, sometime in January I expect. (There's a thread on Madbean already because I cross-posted.) I can't imagine anyone actually having a problem with a circuit's designer starting a thread about their design, especially now that the contest is closed.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

pinkjimiphoton

well, i love ALL you guys....group hug, mushrooms all around!! ;)

:icon_eek:

ok, beers. hippy had a flashback.

i was, no offense, cuz i didn't participate, extremely put off by the 1000 competition. it seemed mismanaged, and messed up, so i jumped at the chance to try and make sure i could support my brothers in making THIS competition stay on the up and up.

that said, screw the naysayers, onwards thru the fog!!! <that used to be on power hitters in the 70's, remember them? i don't...cof cof...

we've tried to ensure the integrity of this competition stays tite. i think we've all done so. yah, i may get a wee bit loose...wee bit, my stoned freak ass...lol... but this one isn't gonna crash and burn like the last.

did people ever sort out the last one? did peeps finally get their prizes? i gave up on it a long time ago, other than a couple teasing posts cuz i am and asshole. <see earlier in the thread when i freely admit this...dino's met me in the flesh, larger than life itself, he can tell ya the truth, lol)

but i was proud to be involved, jazzed to watch it unfurl, and now face the worst challenge of all..trying to decide which pedals are the winners, when all i wanna do is vote straight 10's across the board.

ya'll have been an inspiration, and i thank you all from the bottom of my shriveled little dick cheney-esque black heart.

that said.. almost time to blaze, then stick on the cans and begin my turn as judge. my best wishes to all entrants, and my sincere thanks to all involved in making this contest righteous.

love you all. i mean it. yep, even you. seriously.

thanks for letting me see a little window into some very kozmic, good, old souls. peace.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

garcho

Quoteabout a bunch of threads linking to/publicizing the contest elsewhere on the forum. Like the picture of a turkey

Wow, 3 posts on a forum full of threads like, "is Tayda, like, good to buy from and stuff?" and that's a bunch of spamming? I thought I was promoting the contest for the sake of the forum, in a way that was at least a little humorous, as opposed to guilt-driven.

I sincerely apologize if it irritated anyone! I won't do it again, sorry dudes, my bad.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pinkjimiphoton

this is an actual screenshot of my totally speechless non-small arse,  contemplating some of the most amazing entries ever posted on this forum:

best of luck to all who entered, and my thanks to all involved. i'm gonna spend the next 9 hours or so working. this is gonna be an amazing journey, as i revisit each entry in secession....

Greg and Dino, will try and be done with this tonite, worst case tomorrow. still struggling with excell, just might use paper for me.

rock on, and let the judging commence....

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

First and foremost....

I would like to say that it has been MY pleasure to be able to be a part of this contest. I think that the initial ideals that we (Dino, Jimi, and myself) set forth to instill in this competition have come to light. New and inspiring builds, Open competition to even the newest member (even though I do not believe any "new" members entered  :-\), and most of all.... integrity throughout!  ;D

As for the 1000 competition. My thoughts on that are my own. Dino and Jimi may speculate as to how I feel about it however, here is my "official" opinion.

I have NO ideas about what went wrong with it OR how things went wrong. I DO NOT want to talk negatively about it as I have NO idea the background nor the inner workings of that competition. It was brought to the forum, ran its course, and now it is over. Beyond that, I posted some minor follies regarding the lack of "prize representation" on the thread but, other than that.... I have no other good or bad things to say about it. I only hope to see the prize pedal from that competition soon.

I would like to thank Aron for hosting this great competition. I would also like to thank Dino (digi2t) and Jimi (pinkjimiphoton) for volunteering not only their time to pseudo-moderate the thread AND their time to judge such GREAT entries, but also for personally putting up a prize at their own expense to make this happen. I would also like to thank ALL of the prize givers. Some were courted and some just plain volunteered to be a part of this. Regardless, without all of you, this would have NEVER been as great as it turned out.

I hope that MANY of you get some fantastic builds out of this competition. But, most of all, I hope that it inspires some of you to take the initiative to create your own competitions here on DIYStomp!!!

Then, maybe I CAN ENTER and win something for once  :icon_eek:

THANKS YOU TO ALL THAT MADE THIS GREAT!!!!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'