Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on November 14, 2012, 03:45:41 PM
It reminds me of some of the fuzzes used by older punk bands. Sounds petty good.
Punk Sound in a Box (PSIAB)!!!
Also has a real cool '60s acid vibe. The Seeds, Amboy Dukes, etc. come to mind.
At about 1:30 (IIRC) in the video you get a really cool "spitting"sound on the attack of the notes. Nice. Nice. Nice!
Great job Slacker  :icon_cool:  ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

slacker

Cheers for the comments chaps, glad you like it.

Ronan

Very versatile, I love that gating effect controlled by the bias knob! Dino and jimi will enjoy listening to this one...

Also, no clipping diodes is a refreshing change  8)

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Ronan on November 14, 2012, 05:57:36 PM
Very versatile, I love that gating effect controlled by the bias knob! Dino and jimi will enjoy listening to this one...
jimi pulls out the vero in 3,2,1...  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Ronan

Vallhagen

Wow to the recent entries!

Ian/Ronan, thanx for reminding me that i have an empty wah-shell here ... in need to be filled. Really great filtering effects.

Ian/Slacker, weird fuzzy thing there! Cool!

digi2t

QuoteDino and jimi will enjoy listening to this one...

You guys have no clue.... :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

WhenBoredomPeaks

I thought about submitting some kind of filter, but it seems like that we will have enough filters. On  the other hand i am not sure that there is such a thing as enough with filters. I am already want to build more stuff from the thread than i have imagined before.

Jdansti

^ Yes!  Lots of in in innovative and great sounding pedals. On the other hand, I test fired my board today and its only partially working. Time to debug...
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

deadastronaut

@ian: slacker:   cool sounds, i love that squeezed envelope type sound at 1:22.... 8)

good luck guys!!!..keep em coming 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

oldschoolanalog

Public Service Announcement
One week left!
Tick, tick, tick, tick...

Perrow

Ok, here goes...

I'm really in awe of all the great pedals we've seen here so far, I'm almost ashamed of posting my entry, but hey, the prizes are just too good not to give it a try.

What I'm hoping to score some points from is that I've made a circuit accessible even to those who've steered clear of the original based on it being a 1590A, and instead I'm presenting a comfortable 1590B build. We've seen it built in B's but mostly the original layout suspended from the wiring. This circuit deserves a layout that sits nicely in a B size enclosure.

The circuit is the lovely Little Angel, renamed to Little Big Angel to celebrate the larger layout. More precisely it's the birthday edition of the Little Angel. I've built two pedals now with onboard pots and led and must say I really like that concept, this time I've collected every wire going to the 3PDT in one place and bragged about it by braiding those wires together. Wires for power are as close to the DC jack as I could fit them. This makes it quite easy to wire this up really clean.

I hope that stating that it's Ricks Little Angel takes care of the reference to the original designer. In an attempt to stop lockups I changed the 100R to a 150R resistor, only to find out that the battery was weak and with proper power it wouldn't lock up, but the 150R is still in there. In the video I'm powering it off an eight pack of penlight batteries, measured to 10.7 volts just prior to the demo.

As for the video, all I can say is that I wish I'd practiced guitar as much as I've practiced drawing layouts in DIYLC. I further wish that the guys from our Birmingham office had been in Sweden yesterday to see the friendly between Zlatan and England (which, by the way, Zlatan won by four goals to two) so I could have freshened up my english (long time since I spoke english).

I believe there was also a requirement to post a picture of the finished build:

... and a gut shot.

This is the layout (I'll post a clickable thumb, it's quite large), I've made a few smaller changes to the layout since I etched mine, all of them (I believe) to the right of the PT2399, removed the ground connection on pin 4 and made room for a coupling cap as close as possible to the power pin on the 2399.

I'll post graphics and drilling template to my wiki in a day or two.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

slacker

Looks great, I like the sack boy angel.
Zlatan was pretty awesome last night, great assist by Hart for the last goal :D

pakrat

@slacker Love the 5 knob fuzz although I would have liked to see 6 knobs  :icon_lol:

@Perrow That is one of the cleanest builds I've ever seen.

Great job guys.

midwayfair

Perrow, it looks great. Pretty much a perfect layout: board mounted pots and all switch connections at the bottom right next to each other. almost impossible to have a messy box that way! Makes it something a lot of people would be happy to build I'm sure. I was a pretty big fan of your last contest entry, too, for a similar reason ... it was something that would easily end up on a board (if the world didn't end).

My wife crochets amigurumi. Your dinosaur angel reminds me of those. :)
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

@Pelle- Beautiful, clean build and sounds great!

Extra Points: Nice job on the video editing- switching shots as you narrate and play was a nice touch. Your English is very good (I wish I were poly lingual).  Beautiful flooring!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Vallhagen

Quote from: Perrow on November 15, 2012, 07:51:42 AM
... Little Big Angel to celebrate the larger layout.

Great thinking! "More is More" as another famous swede has teached us.

Very clean build mr!

Hej hopp!

Edit: Hmm, #9, right?

Perrow

Quote from: midwayfair on November 15, 2012, 10:02:10 AM
My wife crochets amigurumi. Your dinosaur angel reminds me of those. :)

It's Sackboy from the video game "Little Big Planet", somehow I thought he'd fit nicely on that build with a pair of wings ;D

If we're up to nine entries I fear I might be the first loser :( but then I'm not the one judging this so I might be completely wrong.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Perrow

Quote from: slacker on November 15, 2012, 08:54:45 AM
Looks great, I like the sack boy angel.
Zlatan was pretty awesome last night, great assist by Hart for the last goal :D

Yeah, he was amazing. Took me til midday today to understand what Hart was trying to do. Sat right above where that happened :)

Vallhagen

Quote from: Perrow on November 15, 2012, 11:36:56 AM

If we're up to nine entries...

Sorry, i was referring to this #9 as your angel...: