Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

@Greg > I hope that it inspires some of you to take the initiative to create your own competitions here on DIYStomp!!!

Then, maybe I CAN ENTER and win something for once

After the judging is over, I'll be glad to discuss organizing the next contest with anyone else that would like to volunteer as an co-organizer and judge. Maybe a Mardi Gras theme with the deadline being midnight Feb 12, 2013. Y'all be thinking about it and let's talk after Nov. 30.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

man. 7 in. i need to smoke a phat one and let my mind un-blow. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

i cannot BELIEVE the quality of these pedals you guys. it's a bitch being a judge, many are so close it's just about impossible. so far it's very much neck in neck.

thanks to all. this is a trip!! :icon_mrgreen:

back to the coal mine lookin' at all the gems. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

guys...in the future, not to be a buzzkill...but PLEASE if one of the requirements is to use another effect, DO SO.
i hate having to give a "zero" on a score that could've put someone on top.

it really seems to be making a huge difference in the scoring...well, 10 possible points, anyways.

about 3/4's done...i applaud every single @#$%ing entry. you guys blow my minds, this is a true and singular honor.

:icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

slacker

Bugger, I'd misread the rules and thought showing it with another effect was optional.
Ironically I was going to build something that exploited that rule and would only have done anything interesting with another effect, should have stuck with that.

Perrow

Quote from: slacker on November 25, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
Bugger, I'd misread the rules and thought showing it with another effect was optional.

+1

I thought, first clean then effect then you can add other effects "to make your effect unique"  :(
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: slacker on November 25, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
Ironically I was going to build something that exploited that rule and would only have done anything interesting with another effect, should have stuck with that.

After re-reading the first post in the thread, I can see how the entrants could view the this as optional.

"9)   Entries WILL provide evidence of a WORKING pedal! Pictures and gut shots are MANDATORY! Must include a video of the pedal in action. Video submissions must show clean guitar through amp, followed by ONLY the built pedal (with NO delay, reverb, etc.) then followed by the built pedal with ANY other effect to make your build unique. We will be judging heavily on the finished product!!! This is your chance to make it stand out!! Be creative but, do it in the order stated please."

Reading the above bolded passage, I can definitely see how it could be left to "interpretation"

I have contacted Jimi and expressed my belief that he should grade the entries accordingly. Ultimately, it is up to him on how he decides to score it.

Good luck to all!!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

hi kids,
i decided it was merely an optional grade, and judged accordingly. if it was shown with another effect, even amp reverb, it got extra points.
if it didn't, i felt i couldn't add a score there in good conscience, and therefore did not.

i don't think it mattered a whole heck of a lot in the end, as i had very high merits for all involved, and the final numbers are all within about 20 points of each other. not too shabby, guys.

thanks to every single one of you...i've never had a harder job...or felt more honored...than to be a humble judge of some of the most inspiring creations i've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

you guys are the epitome of diy, and you should slap yourselves on the back a few times. well done.

that said...

my tallys are taken, and submitted to greg, as requested, and no further changes will happen to the scoring i gave, which i believe to be fair.

it's hard to be fair judging 400 shades of simply @#$%ing awesome.

thanks for letting me participate, and i hope you enjoy your prize, when the final tally is posted and you choose your poisons.

you guys simply @#$%ing rock.

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Perrow

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 25, 2012, 05:04:14 PM
thanks to every single one of you...i've never had a harder job...or felt more honored...than to be a humble judge of some of the most inspiring creations i've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

And thank you for judging (and putting up with the endless questions about the rules).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

digi2t

I personally did not zero anyone for not having another pedal in the mix. I went with the optic of trying to imagine it being used in a chain, and imagining the result. I then graded it that way, and subsequently deducted 1 or 2 points for the lack of evidence. This was a gut call.

I figured with such beautiful work from all, it would have put one at a major disadvantage score-wise, just because they didn't showcase it with other pedals. In all fairness, I tried to level the playing field as much as possible.

In the end, as Jimi points out, it was VERY tough to judge. I had to reign myself in from juggling score sheets, or else I would have totally loopy. The scoring, across the board, was very tight. In my books, there was an 11 point spread between all the entries. 11 points, out of a possible 130. 

I can't wait to see the final results... this is like.... like .... CHRISTMAS!!!!!! :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

tuckster

I'm glad I used a flanger für ~1,5sec. somewhere in my soundfile  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 25, 2012, 03:57:36 PM
guys...in the future, not to be a buzzkill...but PLEASE if one of the requirements is to use another effect, DO SO.

don't miss my "deleted scene" :icon_twisted:. after the first vid was finished I recorded another especially for that requirement. I got right down to the wire and didn't have time for other effects...

edit: sorry, didn't read further where you guys decided on making it optional....I really thought it was clearly a requirement when the rules stated "must"
always think outside the box

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: tuckster on November 25, 2012, 05:46:27 PM
I'm glad I used a flanger für ~1,5sec. somewhere in my soundfile  :icon_wink:

lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

lu, you demonic sob, you, not only did i watch the optional clip, i totally dug it. backwards fuzz guitar is one of my weak spots.

i checked your site, too...love the video. spammed it to a bunch of friends. ;)

using other effects could be deemed optional, but if there weren't any, i wasn't gonna give a single point in that category.

to me, that seemed fair and most in line with the natural laws i prefer to recognize.

again, in the end, it only would have ADDED to what were already unbelieveable scores.

i took it quite seriously; anything not submitted didn't get graded.

i started at a median of 5 points being average. no one scored below this on any potential scores, other than the use of a second effect, in which case in the end it became bonus points.

all who submitted a layout automatically got 10 points more, right there if it was an original layout. if not, it went down, but just slightly.

don't wanna give away all my secrets, or give a reason to lynch me.

thanks to all. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

wow. that was fast. results are in, and graded, and are what they are....thanks to all who participated.

we're discussing now how to release the kraken...errr...the results so everyone knows. i was quite surprised at how it worked out, but then again, not really.

outstanding gents....round of applause, round of shots, ......'ere!!!!! cof cof!!!

i will await greg and dino's reply to my last pm, and soon, yes soon, all will know.

stay tuned. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

haveyouseenhim

AHHHHHHH!!!!     I'm so excited     and i just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and i think I like it. ;D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Beo

I don't think I realized the demo with an extra effect requirement either. With my three in one submittal, I guess I figured I was layering enough circuitry already.
Good luck everyone. The competition in this competition was fierce!

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on November 25, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!!     I'm so excited     and i just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and i think I like it. ;D

Umm... You didn't read the rule about losing points for quoting disco songs???  So sorry... :icon_cry:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

OK FOLKS... THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!

I PRESENT TO YOU.... THE TURKEY DAY SHOOTOUT RESULTS!!!!
First of all... In keeping with the posts previously, the winner(s) will have 48 hours to claim their prize. Starting with #1. When they have claimed their prize, the next winner will begin their selection. Following this timeline until all of the przes have been distributed.  PLEASE claim your selection by posting ON THIS THREAD within the 48 hour period!

It was a tough competition with A LOT of great builds. The winning 8 builds were seperated by less than 15 points from #1 to #8  :icon_eek:

WITHOUT FURTHER A DO......... I PRESENT TO YOU.... YOUR VICTORS!

1) Mustachio (Mutron Mark V)
2) Pakrat (Tubescreamer Executive)
3) LucifersTrip (Antique Monster Fuzz)
4) Ronan (Shiny Wobbly)
5) Garcho (Folie a Deux)
6) Haveyouseenhim (Frankenstein Pulse Wah)
7) Vallhagen (Blue Monster)
8] JDansti (Pulsinator)

ALL were great builds and you should ALL be very proud of your accomplishments.  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks to EVERYONE involved for making this competition a great source of inspiration, creativity, and true brotherhood!

Now..... when is the next one? I wanna win something.................. MAYBE!!!  :P
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

PROPS TO THE WINNERS!!

NOW HURRY UP AND CLAIM YOUR PRIzES!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr