Small Bear's Annual "State Of The Cave" Message

Started by smallbearelec, September 23, 2012, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

Thanks. Glad to hear your weathering the storms and in what sounds like good spirits.
C

PS- What will become of the DIY community when through-hole components are gone? It just won't be the same.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Om_Audio on September 24, 2012, 05:08:07 AM

PS- What will become of the DIY community when through-hole components are gone?

they won't be gone in our lifetime
always think outside the box

Jaicen_solo

They will just start to get expensive and we'll all switch to SMT.
I imagine in the future, the community will start to develop hobby solder 'ovens' and we'll solder all the board components at once!

Thanks for the update Steve. It's nice to know you're still going strong, especially because I have been here from the start and have seen your business grow.

I would like to know if you could give me an idea of the shipping costs to the UK for one of those new boxes, they look amazing!

p.s, Wasnt' the variable cap thing an R.G idea? I may be mis-remembering it was a very long time ago.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: LucifersTrip on September 24, 2012, 06:19:58 AM
Quote from: Om_Audio on September 24, 2012, 05:08:07 AM

PS- What will become of the DIY community when through-hole components are gone?

they won't be gone in our lifetime
Correct.  They won't be cheap, and you certainly won't be able to get them at Radio Shack or Maplin's, when you need that one last part in a hurry, or when you're starting out and want to dip one toe into the water before ordering a bunch of stuff, but it will be there.  Remember, it's not like anyone is still cranking out germanium transistors anymore (or for the last 40 years, for that matter), and that doesn't seem to have slowed us down.

And, lest we forget, end nippers, perfboard, and veroboard are also "through-hole components".

smallbearelec

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on September 24, 2012, 06:26:12 AM
I would like to know if you could give me an idea of the shipping costs to the UK for one of those new boxes...

They weigh about seven ounces, so will be a little more costly to ship through the PO than a 125-B. As I ramp up factory deliveries, I hope that someone in Europe will figure out that it would be profitable to bring over a pallet on a boat across the pond for local re-sale. As I noted in the State Of The Cave, we now know what is involved in doing this and will cooperate with a would-be distributor. Can't do it immediately because I am still recovering from paying for getting to the first shipment, but it's on the list of projects for next year, along with the Bare Box #2...

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 24, 2012, 08:51:49 AM
And, lest we forget, end nippers, perfboard, and veroboard are also "through-hole components".

True, tho a surface-mount PCB is still a PCB, so factories are likely to continue to produce copper-clad FR-4 substrate material for a fair time. Fab houses typically are geared to allow the customer to specify a one-layer board if that's alll that's needed, so maybe that, too, will work out.

Mark Hammer

Incidentally, Steve, great SOTC message this year.  Always a pleasure to read. (BTW, Ben called me for a ride not three minutes after we hung up last night!)

PRR

> What will become of the DIY community when through-hole components are gone?

Aren't we tired of this question yet?

Vacuum-tubes were "gone" by 1976. Not only are they still easy to get, easier than ever really (no driving to Dunellen scouting old TV shops), they are now _cheaper_ than ever (in inflation-adjusted money).

Ford stopped stocking 1967 Mustang stuff a long time ago. Even when they had parts, it was a hassle. I can now buy "any" part for a 1967 Mustang, few mouse-clicks, amazing prices. Recently I saw a "1967 Mustang" which had _NO_ 1967 parts except the VIN tag. Everything was new-made.

If you need buggy-whips, there's places to get them.

Besides which, Steve has been busy. Supply of honest '3080 chips got low. He learned that if you front a good order, there's places will make a batch of old chips for you.
  • SUPPORTER

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?