PUNCH - 1W amplifier

Started by tca, September 24, 2012, 06:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 10, 2016, 02:32:48 PM
does this look right for a solar/charge/DC  amp....seems logical..

thats a great idea actually DA

Mattnezz

Cool idea now summers creeping in!  8)
Maybe add input-caps to L+R, there should be a small pos voltage at the 5457's source.
The 100R part of RC-filter seems big to drive a 3W amp.

deadastronaut

yeah, its going through a few changes....i put a cap at the junction of the L/R

just been trying a tda2030 too...(from a little £1.00 ebay kit..)

which is better/louder for the aux in...

i'll try the buffer in front later too.. :)...see how i get on.

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

perhaps also a 1k mix resistor between fet source and the othe 2 mix R's?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

giguer101

Hey guys, so I tried to build the punch amp/chime amp, I made a PCB on Diptrace just for fun and ordered them (I don't like to etch my own boards) Somehow I made a mistake in the process and boards don't work, all I get is a big buzz from the speaker and when I touch the bridge of the guitar it stops, but still no sound. I can't get my head on what's wrong... it's killing me right now! HELP! hahaha

Here's the board and the schematics I used, could someone tell me what's wrong with it??

disorder

Do you have a ground connection from guitar to this circuit/box?

giguer101

Well the input jack is grounded to the GND on the board, so I guess when it's plugged my guitar is grounded to the circuit!

deadastronaut

you havent grounded the speaker have you...

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

giguer101

Finally the TDA7052A wasn't working... it was from an old project, I guess I burn the pins along the way! Changed it and it works fine! WOUHOU! As anyone tried with a Boost in front of the buffer? Is there a big difference in the loundness of the amp, does the chip works correctly with a boost?

CodaBoy

Hello There!
I am new here and to the DIY thing relating to Mini Amps.
I am starting out on hopefully an easy project. Trying to learn to read those darn schematics!
The first project is this punch amp based off those schematics. I did my best with the free layout program an I hope
I got right before I put heat and solder to the components. Any help I would gladly take! Please let me know if I got right!

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: CodaBoy on December 21, 2016, 09:11:48 PM
Hello There!
I am new here and to the DIY thing relating to Mini Amps.
I am starting out on hopefully an easy project. Trying to learn to read those darn schematics!
The first project is this punch amp based off those schematics. I did my best with the free layout program an I hope
I got right before I put heat and solder to the components. Any help I would gladly take! Please let me know if I got right!

Huh?

Post the layout and the exact schematic you've used and we'll verify it by eye. These schematics for the punch are very small and very simple so there's really not much room for error - so long as you know what you're doing.

Think I'll use the punch to run a talk box.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

carlosfilipe

Hi all.

I'm Carlos and i live in Portugal.

I've been reading this forum for a while now, but this is in fact my first post.

Although i'm a complete newbie and had no electronics skills until about a year ago, i managed to build the Punch amp thanks to your tips and i have to say i'm very pleased with the results when i connect my guitar straight through the amp.

However, when i connect my Zoom G1on multifx pedal the distortion sound a bit fuzzy, almost as if the speaker was broken. Cleans are ok (to my ears at least :D).

I connect my guitar to the Zoom and then to the amp. My 8" speaker came from a Vox Pathfinder 15R and if i connect Amplitube directly to it (with no amp) it sounds ok, wich leads me to believe that it's an amp issue.

Did someone notice this behaviour or did i do something wrong in the amp itself? Any tips?

I'm powering the amp with a 9V power suplly.

Thanks in advance and i'm sorry for any mistake, as my english is a little rusty... :)
Total newbie, willing to learn.

tca

You're overdriving the amp... just reduce the volume of the Zoom G1on.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

carlosfilipe

Hi Tiago, thanks for the reply.

I'm feeling really dumb fot not thinking about that... you were right, i lowered Zoom's volume and now it's perfect.

Thanks again. :)
Total newbie, willing to learn.

seadi123

How does this compare to the Ruby ?

tca

Much cleaner, louder and stable.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

JimSoprano

Hi,

I want to build a small power amp for my diy tube preamp, can I drop the input stage and tie in before or after C1? And should R2 and R3 in the circuit as well?
I want to feed it with a 12V, and the output will be a 8 Ohm 12" guitar speaker (Celectrion V-type)
Grtz Jim

seadi123

Quote from: chptunes on February 12, 2013, 01:09:58 PM
Quote from: petey twofinger on February 12, 2013, 12:40:03 PM
i see there is a tda7052 a than has a volume lug on the chip as well .

you run the pot from ground to pin 4 . i wonder what the benifit of this design is . oh well , i ordered 5 so i guess i will never know unless i bought the normal ones and a/b'ed em .

Beware.  I also built my Punch with the TDA7052A chip, and some changes are required.  R3 (10k) should be omitted.  The DC Volume (Pin 4) is at full gain with a 1M Resistor to Ground.. 100k is a about half volume, and is a nice fixed level for living room use in my experience.

My Punch project morphed into this:

-Corey

I have a couple of questions about this amp. First, why is 10k omitted when using the volume control on pin 4? Next question i know is kind of stupid, but do both outputs from pin 5 and 8 go to speaker+ and speaker- to ground? Or 5 to + and 8 to - , and i dont connect the speaker - to ground? Thanks!

deadastronaut

not sure on the 100k,

but don't connect the output to ground...

5 and 8 connect to speaker yes.

joakinrox

Guys a cuestión, can i hook up a 4 ohm speaker to this amp?