DOD FX55b voltage starve mod?

Started by n.d, September 30, 2012, 01:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n.d

Hello everyone. I´d like to know if that is a voltage starve effect - I think so -, and, if it is indeed, how do I do it?.

Thanks.

FUZZZZzzzz

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Mark Hammer

It's an op-amp circuit.  They tend not to respond to "starving" the same way as discrete circuits, if only because there is a whole lotta "stuff" inside the chip that is not affected as directly as a pair of transistors would be.

That does NOT lump everything in a DIP package together, though.  Things like invertor packages are very much like discrete transistor arrangements, and can be subject to starvation effects.

R O Tiree

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

n.d

Thanks FUZZZZzzzz. I´ll try putting a pot (with a switch) inside the pedal. I´m planning on other mods - the Nicosonic mod, the one that saves low frequencies from being affected by the tone pot, and "disconnecting one or the other clipping pairs", as suggested on this other thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=31954.0

I´ll let you know how it went.

Mark Hammer

Listening to it now, that is not simple current starving.  Something is being fed back to somewhere else it normally doesn't connect to, which is how you can end up with oscillation like that.

And that's usually the essence of "circuit bending".

n.d

OK. Any pointers?. At least please tell me what NOT to connect....

Thanks.

timd

Well, if you're going to randomly experiment with a wire trying out different points on the board to see how they sound, I would suggest to avoid any area close to where the 9v + originates. If you try one end of the wire there and the other to a random point, you might give 9V to an area that is used to seeing much less than that and fry something. Also, if tinkering around with circuit bending, make sure to use a battery as the power source to be safe.

timd

Now that I actually watched this, its a circuit bend, maybe a "bit" of voltage starve. I came up with a very similar "random number generator" type note decay by bending a Hannah Montana circuit and shoving it into a box:

petey twofinger

"rules" for safer bending , use a resistor , what timd said , if it sparks clicks or pops , dont try it again , be quick on the first hit . the only 1900 per cent safe method is to NOT circuit bend , but whats the fun in that ?
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

n.d

petey twofinger: As long as your nickname doesen´t come from a circuit bending accident...

;)

Thanks.

timd

Yeah - how did you get that nickname? My mind is unfortunately in the gutter....