Small rotary switches

Started by John Lyons, October 03, 2012, 10:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

A while back there was a post about small rotary switches.
They looked about half the size of the the Alpha/Lorin type plastic bodied switches.
(Yes I know about the small bear 1 pole 6 position one.)
I can't find the thread now.

Ideally I'd like a 3-4 position single pole switch
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

lietuvis

Quote from: John Lyons on October 03, 2012, 10:34:59 AM
A while back there was a post about small rotary switches.
They looked about half the size of the the Alpha/Lorin type plastic bodied switches.
(Yes I know about the small bear 1 pole 6 position one.)
I can't find the thread now.

Ideally I'd like a 3-4 position single pole switch
look for these alpha small rotary switches at mouser http://uk.mouser.com/catalog/English/101/GBP/1692.pdf

John Lyons

Cool, thank you kind sir.  ;)

Oh, but just to have all the info (again) does anyone know about the smaller plastic bodied ones?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

smallbearelec

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pole-4-Position-Panel-PCB-Wiring-Rotary-Switch-2P4T-/330588499247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf89c2d2f
Thanks for the link. These are surely available in other configurations and would be useful for many small builds. I will ask one of my Taiwanese sources if they know who the maker is.

SD

John Lyons

Bingo! Thanks Merlin.
That would be great if you could get them Steve.  ;)
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

~arph

Those are great! It'd mean we can fit a rotary in a row of pots better.

joegagan

yes, and from an aesthetic point of view, a person can keep their look very clean by using eg; 4 knobs instead of 3 knobs and a microswitch. when i see a microswitch on top of a stompbox, it offends me both from artistic and structural standpoints.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Toogle switches worry me as well Joe.
If I use them I try to tuck them where
the knobs will act as a "roll ball" of sorts.

I ordered 3 of those small ebay rotary switches.
We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Grayhill makes small high quality rotaries
but they are 1/8" shaft and $12 each.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

i agree, did you mean ' roll bar"?

when guys tuck them up where knobs protect them, this makes them almost ok in my book. but my disdain for the look remains.

but even the latest wampler paisley pedal has microswitches where an errant foot could  f them up.

granted, he is using the stubby ones that probably won't break off at the bat, but will tear up internally ( the back blows out) anytime a person accidentally  brings their body weight dwon on it.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

i can get those grayhill style 1/8" shaft rotaries from my local surplus for a dollar. but as you allude, the shaft size is problematic.

John Lyons

Yeah, meant roll bar,  :icon_wink: With the short bat switches I sink them so the nut is flush
with the bushing. Otherwise they just look goofy (in my opinion)

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

again, agree, nuts should be as flush to the surf as possible on all components for best look. seeing the threads introduces another visual element, the goal is to clean up , to reduce elements.
in the case of a mini-switch, lipstick on a pig tho.

davent

For those 1/8" shafts, using your drill press it's not too difficult to make a bushing from 1/4" brass rod and keep using your full compliment of knobs.

Another issue with toggles, indexed washers/ toothed washers mounted on the outside, sometimes with the indexing tab sticking up in the air... what gives? (Cranky old man)  PPP sell a nice small stainless steel washer for use with toggles, huge improvement.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

Another issue with toggles, indexed washers/ toothed washers mounted on the outside,
sometimes with the indexing tab sticking up in the air... what gives? (Cranky old man) 

Ha ha! that gets me as well.  >:( :icon_lol:

PPP sell a nice small stainless steel washer for use with toggles, huge improvement.

Dang! I've been looking for a while and I missed those. Thanks!
I usually file off the tab or leave the washer off and take it slow.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

John Lyons

From ebay seller:
Thanks for purchasing from us. However, we regret to inform you that when we were preparing to ship the order to you,
we found that the last few pieces in stock are damaged and not suitable for sale. After contacting our supplier urgently,
they informed us that the item is unexpectedly discontinued and it will not be available again in the near future.

Nooooooooooooo!  :icon_cry:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

drolo

Quote from: John Lyons on October 04, 2012, 11:19:24 PM
From ebay seller:
Thanks for purchasing from us. However, we regret to inform you that when we were preparing to ship the order to you,
we found that the last few pieces in stock are damaged and not suitable for sale. After contacting our supplier urgently,
they informed us that the item is unexpectedly discontinued and it will not be available again in the near future.

Nooooooooooooo!  :icon_cry:

Hi,
bummer, i was going to look into these as well as i am preparing a bit of a complex build and these would have helped.

I ordered some Lorlins but have trouble figuring out whether these will fit in the holes of a veroboard.

Has anyone ever mounted lorlins on veroboard?

smallbearelec

Alpha got back to me. They offer these:

http://www.taiwanalpha.com.tw/english/p_e_141.htm

and have promised to send me samples.

I will advise.

SD

KazooMan

Here is the thread on the Smallbear rotary switch:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=90131.0

I really like these switches.

midwayfair

Shame about the e-bay switches but YAY on the Alpha/Smallbear possibility. 18.3mm is pretty tiny for a rotary with two poles.

Quote from: John Lyons on October 04, 2012, 11:51:14 AM
With the short bat switches I sink them so the nut is flush
with the bushing. Otherwise they just look goofy (in my opinion)

Yeah, that irks me to no end, too. It's a real cosmetic issue in small boxes with large circuits, though, because the switches are too tall inside for the board to rest on top. It means getting really creative with their placement or ... putting a hole in the circuitboard. The aestetics outside win for me.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!