Punch Lux: 1W amp, with tone control, tremolo, ... Design question?

Started by tca, October 05, 2012, 06:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tca

Hi again,
after making my simple 1W amp PUNCH I've started my quest on the improvement. Here is what I've did:

1. added a OD circuit, Tube Sound Overdrive by Arsenio Novo and added a gain control
2. added tone control
3. added volume control (master and regular volume), I've changed the TDA7052 to the TDA7052A

This chip, the TDA7052A, has voltage control volume, by changing the voltage of pin 4 one can control the volume. This is a cool feature because the volume control is not on the signal path. Then I thought, because of this nice feature, to add a tremolo to the amp by adding the phase oscillator of the EA tremolo. The final circuit is this (still on the breadboard):

After all this I've started questioning my design, as always! So here are my questions:

1. should I keep the OD section, or remove it and build the OD as pedal?  The amp is still very clean for lower gain.
2. I've never played with a amp with a tremolo, but I've been playing with this all week and I like it. Does it worth to have a tremolo build in on the amp, or as a external pedal? Note that this tremolo is also not on the signal path. What do you think about amps with tremolos, one gets bored after a while?!?!

Thanks.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

tca

I've made my mind. I'll remove the Tube Sound Overdrive an keep the tremolo.

Cheers.

chptunes

Slick tca.. I like your approach.  The EA Tremolo integrated with your Punch amp.. cool.  Do you have a revised schematic/layout/pcb, since removing the OD circuitry?

PS-  I'm still enjoying your Mu-Valve design too.. thanks.

-Corey

tca

Quote from: chptunes on November 28, 2012, 03:17:09 PM
Do you have a revised schematic/layout/pcb, since removing the OD circuitry?

No, sorry.  I'm still playing with the PUNCH (simpler version), and started a new set of projects! This probably means that the the simplest version of the PUNCH is the best!

Cheers.