2 different trannies for a darlington

Started by jogina111, October 07, 2012, 11:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jogina111

is it possible to use 2 different transistors to make a darlington pair? Im building a metal simplex but with more gain by using a darlington pair.. but I only got 1x 2n3904, 1x s8050 and 1x c9014..

LucifersTrip

yes, as long as both are npn or pnp

if you have one of each, then:

always think outside the box

armdnrdy

I found this in a Wiki.

Darlington pairs are available as integrated packages or can be made from two discrete transistors; Q1 (the left-hand transistor in the diagram) can be a low power type, but normally Q2 (on the right) will need to be high power. The maximum collector current IC(max) of the pair is that of Q2.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 07, 2012, 11:37:06 PM

I think that diagram is a complementary darlington. A regular darlington is either NPN or PNP.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

jogina111

is the 2n3904 more high powered than the c9014?which one should be on the 1st stage of the darlington pair?

armdnrdy

According to the Wiki, Q1 is the one on the left (low power) and Q2 is the one on the right. (high power) I'd say give it a try! The worst thing that will happen is a puff of smoke. :o

LucifersTrip

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 07, 2012, 11:43:30 PM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 07, 2012, 11:37:06 PM

I think that diagram is a complementary darlington.

It's also called a Sziklai pair

A regular darlington is either NPN or PNP.

that's what I wrote above

reveal

Small Bear has an article on darlingtons.  It's geared towards germanium but the concept is the same for silicon.  https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/GeDarlingtons/GeDarlingtonPairs.htm

Heemis

The graphic you posted is an NPN and PNP, that's why he said that.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Heemis on October 09, 2012, 08:32:48 AM

The graphic you posted is an NPN and PNP, that's why he said that.

I wrote "if you have one of each, then:"
[graphic]

armdnrdy

Let's not argue boys! >:(

I pointed out that the image depicted was not a regular darlington pair not to prove anyone wrong (I saw your comment "a regular darlington is either NPN or PNP) but to make sure that jogina111 had it straight.

All friends now?  :D

LucifersTrip

yes, as long as both are npn or pnp. Darlington:

if you have one of each, then it's a Sziklai pair (or complementary Darlington):

armdnrdy

Okay, but can he use two diffent transistors to make a darlington pair?  ;D

LucifersTrip

armdnrdy

Good answer!!

You know....jogina111 probably went out and bought a 2N5306 and called it good!!

jogina111

nah, cant even find one of those in my local stores....