Swapping parts in fuzz factory?

Started by StevenJM, October 15, 2012, 08:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJM

I've got all the parts on hand to build one, except for a 5.1k resistor between the collector and 3rd lug of the volume pot...

http://solgrind.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/zvex-fuzzfactory-rev1-1.gif

I have 4.7k or 5.6k, but no 5.1k.... 

I've tried building one a few months back on vero board and it wouldn't work so I ordered a PCB to work on instead.  But now I'm curious if that resistor was the reason the vero didn't work, or if it was just a solder bridge or something. (It was my first attempt at vero board)

Should the other options still work?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: StevenJM on October 15, 2012, 08:54:20 PM

I've tried building one a few months back on vero board and it wouldn't work so I ordered a PCB to work on instead.  But now I'm curious if that resistor was the reason the vero didn't work, or if it was just a solder bridge or something.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the reason. It should easily work any of those.

Hey, you have 470 ohm that you used for Q2C. If you're worried, just use the 4.7K in series with a 470 ohm = 5.17K
always think outside the box

StevenJM

Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 15, 2012, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: StevenJM on October 15, 2012, 08:54:20 PM

I've tried building one a few months back on vero board and it wouldn't work so I ordered a PCB to work on instead.  But now I'm curious if that resistor was the reason the vero didn't work, or if it was just a solder bridge or something.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the reason. It should easily work any of those.

Hey, you have 470 ohm that you used for Q2C. If you're worried, just use the 4.7K in series with a 470 ohm = 5.17K

Yea I'm almost positive I have a solder bridge on the board, I get sound, just a really wimpy fuzz noise.

I don't know if I have room on the tiny pcb board to wire 2 in series.  Maybe I'll try the 4.7, otherwise I have to wait til after my vacation coming up to order the proper resistor.  RadioShack only sells them in a big multi ohm pack.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: StevenJM on October 15, 2012, 11:37:21 PM

Yea I'm almost positive I have a solder bridge on the board, I get sound, just a really wimpy fuzz noise.

need to go thru the standard debugging ritual:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

I don't know if I have room on the tiny pcb board to wire 2 in series.

you can stand em up like this (bottom right):
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/fuzzface-mono-perf.jpg
always think outside the box

JebemMajke

Check Q2 and Q3 orientation. They are reversed on this schematic.

StevenJM

Standing them up like in that picture would work.  Oh well I already tried a 4.7, if it sounds off ill definitely try the two in series next.

I'm not gonna bother debugging the vero board.  Im gonna try something simpler like a fuzz rite on vero first.  It could be a solder bridge or all of the crazy off board wiring that got messed up.  I'd rather just stick to PCB for this one.

StevenJM

I got it wired up today with the 4.7k resistor and everything works and sounds as it should.   I love these pedals. 

I have the LED wired from the 9v jack to the switch... Why would turning knobs effect the brightness of the LED?  Haha, I don't get it, but other than that, the thing works great.

Liquitone

I had a pedal' LED  change brightness while turning the volume knob yesterday,  from completely on to completely off.
it turned out to be caused by the mono jackplug in the stereojack that connects the batteries ground to earth that wasn't plugged in completely.
it makes sense now but I did panic for a few seconds.