Transistor as a diode - A use for your busted germaniums

Started by chromesphere, October 20, 2012, 02:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey everyone,

Id read on here the idea of using a transistor as a diode before; a use for those busted transistors that you'd probably just throw out.

I thought i would give it a go today and see what happens.  Turns out, they work quite well as diodes!  Wish i hadnt of thrown out some of them out :(

Anyway, heres my usual video format report.  I've explain in the video how to do it, and also some sound samples of the transistors in a distortion plus.

Hope the information is useful to you, let me know what you think!

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

stonerbox

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

knutolai

If you haven't seen it already I'm guessing you would be interested in this article:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/zenmos.htm

Mark Hammer

What has mystified me for a long time is how a germanium transistor can "work" as a diode but yet not function properly as a transistor.

What gives?  Do leaky GE trannies make for leaky diodes?

chromesphere

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 21, 2012, 05:20:15 PM
What has mystified me for a long time is how a germanium transistor can "work" as a diode but yet not function properly as a transistor.

What gives?  Do leaky GE trannies make for leaky diodes?

Thats what i thought.  What if one of the juntions has a physical defect, a gap for example.  Or is just broken in some way...

Maybe some transistors wont work?  I've only tried it on a few so far.

Paul

LucifersTrip

I just want to make a couple notes regarding the vid. You don't have to tie any lugs together and it will work with either BC or BE. There is no diode between CE. Just break the 3rd lug off.

I posted this a while ago to another forum, but it fits here...This is some of my vintage transistors that have either unusably high leakage, unusably low gain, a lug broken off, a short between lugs, etc...I have em labeled DOA and use em for diodes.

always think outside the box

chromesphere

Is it wrong for a grown man to cry over that picture lucifer?

Thanks for the info!  I'll test it out tonight.  The leg tying method was admittedly the first attempt at it for me.

So...could you use 1 dud transistor as 2 diodes?

Paul

PRR

> how a germanium transistor can "work" as a diode but yet not function properly as a transistor.

Transistor is two junctions intimately coupled.

A very-leaky transistor has poor coupling.

A blown transistor usually has only one junction blown. (You have to experiment to find the un-blown one.)

It IS possible for a transistor to be blown so bad it won't even diode.

But historically, half-dead transistors were often used to boost the "transistor count" of low-price radios.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Quote from: PRR on October 21, 2012, 10:59:51 PM
> how a germanium transistor can "work" as a diode but yet not function properly as a transistor.

Transistor is two junctions intimately coupled.

A very-leaky transistor has poor coupling.

A blown transistor usually has only one junction blown. (You have to experiment to find the un-blown one.)

It IS possible for a transistor to be blown so bad it won't even diode.

But historically, half-dead transistors were often used to boost the "transistor count" of low-price radios.
Thanks for that.  I well remember the way in which radios were advertised in terms of how many transistors they had.  I worked all summer of 1965 to buy myself a Mitsubishi radio that had eleven transistors  :icon_eek: :o  A 2SB172 cannibalized from that radio made the best-sounding Rangemaster I've ever been able to produce.  Sadly, I sold it to a guy, thinking "It's just one tranny.  I can make myself another."