Kay Fuzz Tone Principles

Started by Dylfish, October 20, 2012, 09:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylfish

Hey guys I'm looking to build a fuzz with the same "variable" change that the fuzz tone has when rocked on.  Can someone explain how it works in that circuit? Does it change the tone part to the circuit or is there more going on begin the scenes?

John Lyons

It's mainly a tonal change but it does affect the volume a little.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

knutolai

As mentioned, Its a tone control which gives you the choice between a treble cut and a bass cut.

pinkjimiphoton

you probably won't care for this fuzz, it's pretty weak and mostly nostalgic.

2n5088's as most suggest are way too hot, and will kind of ruin the tone, imho..

the tone control is more of a fuzz contour than a tone or volume....it does have a very minor effect on volume, but i think
that's a psychoaccoustic phenomenon from the treble being rolled back.

that said, if ya sweep it with an lfo, it sounds VERY cool, kinda phasey.. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Dylfish

Thanks, I'm looking at using the same kind of idea with another fuzz and making it almost auto in the phasing using an LFO or something similar. Are there any articles I can read to get an idea of how to go about it/?

pinkjimiphoton

i'm still to new to be much help there, but i'm assuming you just need to find an oscillator, and replace the pot with it.

gonna lay out and learn... wish i could help more!! but yah, moving it would be hip, it's very vocal/forment-y when swept!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr